hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Installer
Experience:  I am a certified Cable Television installer in the state of Hawaii
40928634

Both my Panasonic TVs have lost all bbc radio and TV channels

Both my Panasonic TVs have lost all bbc radio and TV channels and retuning does not bring them back at all
I am near Colchester
why??
Category: TV
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

It looks like you're facing the Sudbury transmitter

http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Sudbury#Sudbury%20(Suffolk,%20England)

BBC is transmitted at the lowest mux frequencies and the fact that you can't receive these channels points to an aerial/cabling or connector problem.

Because the aerials and outside cables are exposed to the elements 24x7 they will fail.

All channels come from Sudbury so if you can receive the other channels with no problem then something else is afoot.

Do you have a close neighbour and if so, are they receiving the BBC channels?

Did anything lead up to this situation?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Few round here use the terrestrial signal (mainly sky) - BBC has returned two days ago but is breaking up all the time

Thank you for your reply,
As you can understand, the equipment on your roof is exposed to the elements 24x7.
Sometimes something as innocuous as a bird landing on one of the elements can bend or break it. A strong wind can rotate the aerial.
The equipment that splits the signal can also degrade.
The UV from the sun and the weather can affect the cabling & connectors that deliver the signal from the aerial to your television sets.
This signal degradation will cause the picture symptoms that you are experiencing.
The bot***** *****ne is, I'm afraid that you'll need to have a professional aerial installer to visit your home to examine the cabling from end to end to determine what has happened.
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but unless you have training being up high on a roof or using a ladder I would entrust the work to a professional.