Pete
Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have recently purchased a Panasonic TX39AS600B tv and am

Customer Question

I have recently purchased a Panasonic TX39AS600B tv and am not at all satisfied with the picture. It seems to enhance some colours too much (especially green, yellow and pink) especially outdoor programmes or documentaries filmed outdoors to the detriment of the rest of the scene.
The green enhancement in particular picks out small areas of grass or leaves and makes them bright while the remainder has very little colour.
I have tried all modes and many settings but still this over-enhancement totally spoils my viewing.
THere also seems to be an overall green tinge most of the time. If it was a photograph on my Photo Editor I would adjust the RGB balance but there is no such adjustment on the TV.
Studio settings are fine and exceptionally colourful.
My previous tV was a Panasonic 32" LCD purchased about 4 years ago and that has superb natural colours. Is this colour enhancement a feature of LED tvs?
Do you have any suggestions please as I am on the brink of returning the TV? The Manual and Help pages are pretty useless in this respect.
Dennis
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Pete :

Hi there,

Pete :

If the TV has a green tinge even after adjusting all of the modes and settings, then it may have a fault.

Pete :

Try viewing an identical model on display in a shop to see how the picture normally appears.

Pete :

Just one other thing to check first - have you tried different input sources? (e.g. A DVD player connected by HDMI, a satellite box, or normal terrestrial TV) - the problem may be with the input source or cables and not with the TV itself.

JACUSTOMER-mt1t7hhs- :

I was not able to view this model in a shop apart from the usual DVDs.

JACUSTOMER-mt1t7hhs- :

Which settings are likely to affect the green tinge (e.g Green 'Gain' or 'Cut off' in White Balance section or Green 'Hue', 'Saturation' or Luminance' in Colour Management? The most disturbing aspect is probably the exaggerated enhancement of Green, Yellow and shocking pink on dull backgrounds as if the TV picks out these colours and enhances them far too much. Does this mean the TV is faulty?

JACUSTOMER-mt1t7hhs- :

I can confirm that the same problem exists when playing DVDs although not as bad. Presumably this rules a problem with the in put side.

Pete :

What all devices have you tried, and how were they connected?

Pete :

For example, did you only try connecting HDMI devices?

Pete :

Or have you tried a variety of different types of inputs?

JACUSTOMER-mt1t7hhs- :

The DVD was connected by a HDMI cable. Also I have linked a laptop by HDMI and compared pictures of my own photos (good ones only) side by side with the TV. There was hardly any difference but on the TV the colours were slightly stronger.

JACUSTOMER-mt1t7hhs- :

I have not tried connecting via a Scart cable as I don't hva

JACUSTOMER-mt1t7hhs- :

I have not tried connecting via a Scart cable as I don't have one long enough. I have manged to reduce the green tinge but green colours are still too brilliant, as are yellows and pinks. I should point out that the TV service is by Virginmedia cable. Can suggest which setting controls on the menu I should concentrate on please. I have tried most of them especially the Green Gain in White Balance and Colour Management.

Pete :

If you adjust all settings to the extremes and still get a green tinge, and you have ruled out a problem with the input channels, then it is an internal fault with the video processing circuitry.