Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

my television set keeps showing the message common interface

my television set keeps showing the message common interface module removed how can i fix it
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Could you tell me the full model number of your tv, and what source devices are connected to it (aerial, basic cable, cable box/satellite receiver, dvd, game, etc)?

Customer:

my tv is a toshiba model number 32bv801b it is only connected to the aerial at the moment

Nathan :

You don't have a usb stick/drive, ethernet cable, or anything else connected (or have previously)?

Nathan :

Initially, lets try an OTA retune, and if that doesn't help we can next look into a firmware update.

Nathan :

• Press MENU button on the remote control unit.
• Select Install and Retune option and then select
Automatic channel scan (Retune).

Customer:

no joy still getting same message

Nathan :

Thank you for checking.

Nathan :

Unfortunately, there are no publically available firmware updates for your tv. The last updates were back in 2012, and were pushed out automatically over the airwaves. Chances are you have it already, but at this point we're looking at either corrupted firmware, or a hardware fault (bad main board) in the tv, either of which would require repair efforts to fully resolve.

Nathan :

Would it be possible for you to test another device connected to the tv (dvd, set top box, etc) and see if the message goes away when the tv isn't in tuner mode?

If it does, we may have some other work around options here.

Customer:

ok will do and get back to you

Nathan :

Thanks, ***** ***** for your update.

Customer:

the message is gone when i play it on my dvd recorder if if may help the message in full is common interface module removed followed in brackets by numbers 2 then 1 the message is on the tv for about 10 to12 seconds then every three to four minutes after

Nathan :

Thanks for the info. So this is as I suspected, the issue is related to the firmware that controls the tvs internal tuner. Since this is getting to be an older model and toshiba hasn't released any updates for it for years, other than trying to contact toshiba direct and ask them to send you an update file on a memory stick, the alternative option would be to utilize an external tuner instead.

Nathan :

By doing this, you'd connect an external tuner (freeview set top box) to the tv via hdmi or component/composite. With that arrangement, the tvs internal tuner (coax lead) wouldn't be used, and the tv would no longer prompt with this message.\

Customer:

thanks nathan i think that is what i will do go for a top box it is probably the idea thank you once again for all your help you get an excellent rating and i have your direct email address for future refs have a happy christmas

Nathan :

You're very welcome. I'm sorry there isn't a simpler fix, but that really will be the best route at minimal cost (as opposed to repairing/replacing the tv).

Nathan :

merry christmas to you as well.

Customer:

i will go for the top box cheaper in the long run thanks nathan i have your email for future refs have a happy christmas rate you excellent

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.