Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Hi, my toshiba DVD tv about a year old( just over) was fine

Hi, my toshiba DVD tv about a year old( just over) was fine and working last night wheni switched it off using the remote. This morning it will not turn on. It's light is flashing red and green quite fast. I've tried unplugging it for a couple of hours, doing the whole holding the on button on set for 60secs and turning it back on at mains for 60secs and nothing.
Any ideas please...
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv,

Nathan :

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, typically a faulty power supply or main board (the 2 most common failure points). This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

Nathan :

It sounds like you may have been reading a prior post of mine from what you've described.

Nathan :

I realize you may have attempted some variation of this already, but if not please perform these exact steps:

Nathan :

both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation,
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv at the mains

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

Nathan :

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around £250-300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

Despite being only a year old, for a tv this size, it typically isn't worth repairing - you can buy a brand new tv with a fresh warranty for the same price, which makes more sense in the long run.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Customer: O god, single female here..with a 4 year old and no tele!
Nathan :

I'm sorry to hear that. At least you still have use of the computer though

Customer: I basically have already done the steps you have explained. Although, I had it switched offtoday, then it's been on at the mains for the past, say 2 hours and I've tried the steps. Maybe will try the hour off at mains just now( it's just been switched off at mains) and try in that time frame. Don't know of that will make a difference. If not its back down to currys for another tv. Yes I have an iPad with sky charges me crazy money to watch sky go!. If no joy tonight I'll be at the shop buying what they have in stock!,
Nathan :

It wouldn't hurt to try complaining to them as well about this one, if you bought it there. The warranty is only a year, but they really should last longer, 3-5 is typical though. If you complain enough perhaps they'll give you some discount.

Nathan :

I'd also advise against buying one with a built in dvd. It is much cheaper to buy a separate tv and add on player.

Nathan :

Helps as well in the long run because the internal players always seem to break, and get expensive to repair.

Customer: Argos and can't find receipt. Typical. Ok Thankyou for the tip on non built in DVDs , I'll run with your advice. I so hope your steps work though as you know...just before Xmas, bad timing!
Nathan :

I hope so as well. If not, this is probably the best time for it to fail though, usually the best prices of the year are around the holidays.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan

Customer: Ok well, fingers crossed, and thank you.
Nathan :

You're welcome.