Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Hello My Ferguson F10500PVR 2died" last week, no power. Remote

Customer Question

Hello My Ferguson F10500PVR 2died" last week, no power. Remote working, changed fuse and checked socket. Local tv repair said it needed a new mother/mainboard. any ideas where I can get one as I undestand Ferguson stopped traind 4 years ago and PVr is only 5years old. What i really want is to be able to watch saved programmes, hard drive almost full. Are they saved to a meemory chip? Can it be removed and put into another device? please help I am very upset at losing all these programmes. Liz
Category: TV
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for delay in replying. Too busy to check emails.

Yes please continue to try to give me some advice what I can do -

Where can I purchase a motherboard for Ferguson F10500PVR?

Can the memory chip or wherever the programes are saved be removed and put into a computer or another pvr so I can watch the programmes?

Do I only pay £22 when help is given?

What happens about free 7 day trial?

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Unfortunately, this type of problem is fairly common with these ferguson pvrs, which are really rebadged vestel units with altered software.
While I don't dispute the prognosis given by the repair guys who have looked at it, I wouldn't have any optimism about being able to resolve it. The real issue here is that these pvrs, and their parts, have been discontinued for many years, and there is no longer support available for them in any for. Unless you were able to find a used unit of the exact same pvr (as well as the same firmware version, etc) used, perhaps on ebay, there isn't much practical action left.
The recordings are stored on a hard drive inside the pvr. Even if you were to replace the main board, or transfer the drive to another one, there is a good chance the recordings (especially if you had any paid channels) are encrypted, and can only be viewed on this exact device.
There is a possibility, however quite involved, of taking the drive out of the pvr, installing it into a computer, and viewing/exporting the files that way. This would require a linux OS to read the .ext2 file system, offload the video as data files, which are in a .ts format, and then using special software, such as "tsdoctor" to convert them to a usable format, such as .mp4. You could then watch on pc, or convert to a dvd to watch on a tv.
For the amount of time involved though, I personally would not consider it worth the effort. Most broadcast content these days is available in alternate formats online (and if it isn't yet, will be at some point in the future) so you can catch up with it on the channel/shows website, netflix, hulu, youtube, etc.
Personally, I wouldn't consider it worth the effort, unless there was some truly special and irretrievable content on that drive (perhaps a relative was featured on a local news segment, etc), when much of the content is available elsewhere for much less time, cost, and effort.
I'm sorry I cannot offer a more optimistic answer here, and I can certainly sympathize with you, I've had my own satellite boxes crash before (failed drive) and encountered the same situation. I do hope my full and honest assessment of the circumstances here though may at least save you some time and further aggravation and allow you to make an informed decision.
Best regards,
Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Nathan and sorry for the delay in replying.

I will pass on what you say to a friend who is going to have a look at the hard drive for me so the technical stuff you mention will be helpful to him. Unfortunately some of the content is not available as far as I know, although I will keep searching, so if there is any way of retrieving it I would like to try.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
I completely understand the desire to salvage it, and if you have someone who can assist in that endeavor I wish you luck.
Best regards,
Nahtan