Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

my panasonic TX- 37LZD70 doesnt switch on?!?!?

Green light comes on for a couple of seconds then slight flicker/snowy picture and the off...red light standby mode, i think?

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems.
Can you please tell me how long you've owned the TV for and when did the problem occur?
Was it after a storm, or power outage, etc.?
Also, when the set shuts off, does the red light blink at all, or does it stay lit steadily?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've owned the TV for around 5yrs. The problem occured yesterday evening, 19th Dec.

It wasn't after a storm or power surge/power cut.

When it shuts off, the red light blinks every 3 seconds.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
This problem can be caused by one of two things, and the latter will require service within the set.
The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and let me know if there are any signs of life at all on the TV. Please reply back and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did as instructed. Tv tries to kick into life. Makes a "clicking" sound to rear of TV, as before. Then off. Red light blinking every 3 seconds as before....?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear that, and this does indicate a hardware failure within the TV that's causing the issue.
One common cause of this is the power supply board. There are several capacitors that are prone to going out of spec, and can prevent the TV from powering up. Average cost for this type of repair is going to be $200 parts and labor.
The other common issue is a faulty Mainboard. This board carries the communication to the power supply to allow the supply to deliver it's voltages to the various circuits in the TV, and is around $250 parts and labor in this set.
Also, the backlight inverter board which are responsible for lighting up the LCD display could be causing this problem. If one of the boards has a short, it can cause the power supply to shut down. Average cost of replacing the Inverters is around $200 parts and labor.
To determine which board in the TV is causing the failure, a Tech would need to measure the outputs of the power supply using a meter to see if any are shorted, or if another fault board is causing it to shut down.
I know this is not good news, and I wish there was a quick fix for this problem for you. Also, given the cost of repairs versus replacement of the TV, I would personally put that same money towards a new set in lieu of repairing a 5 year old TV, since the set can be replaced for about the same money.
If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied, please click a POSITIVE RATING, as I am an independent Tech- not a Site Employee, and the rating is the ONLY WAY I am credited.