Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

my sharp lcd tv rc1910 screen does not show the whole picture.

my sharp lcd tv rc1910 screen does not show the whole picture. I have changed screen settings to no avail. Any suggestions
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Can you tell me what source/input you're using with the tv? (aerial, basic cable, cable box, satellite, etc)?

Customer:

I have a sky satelite box (not HD)

Nathan :

Okay thank you for confirming.

Nathan :

This problem with the picture size could be coming from either the tv OR the box

Grab the sky box remote and look for a button that says ZOOM, ASPECT, WIDE, RATIO, SIZE, etc

You may need to press this several times to cycle through the different options,

and you may have to make a similar adjustment on the tv as well, until you get them both to a desired setting

typically you'd want the box set on 16:9 or Wide

and you'd want the tv set on Normal or 16:9

It can take a bit of fiddling to get them both matched up, but you should have a button for this function on both the tv remote and on the box remote, and will have to use both

Customer:

OK I understand where you are coming from. The TV is set on 16:9 but I don't know how to change the setting using the sky remote and I have no button that says ZOOM, ASPECT, WIDE, RATIO, SIZE, etc

Nathan :

There may not be a direct menu button for it on the sky remote, though there usually is,

Nathan :

try looking for one that says Format or Picture, this is often shared with the # ***** * keys at the bottom of the remote

Nathan :

or is sometimes one of the color (blue, red, green, yellow) buttons on the sky remote.

Nathan :

If you don't find a specific button, then you'll need to go look through the sky setup menu

Nathan :

It is entirely possible though that since you are using a standard (not HD) sky box, that this is simply the native picture format, and that it cannot be changed.

Customer:

I went through the services button and found Picture settings. I changed this from what was set (4:3) to 16:9 but there does not seem to be any difference. ( I am hoping to find a football match as I can never see what the score is!

Nathan :

Most standard def broadcasts are going to be in the smaller square 4:3 format, not the widescreen format.

Nathan :

To get the proper full size, you'd need to get a HD box from sky.

Customer:

OK so if I can't get any improvement by fiddling around with the different ratios, it could be that I will only get the full picture with a sky HD box. Is that what you are saying?

Nathan :

Yes, that is exactly right.

Nathan :

If you've reached the limit of what can be adjusted by the settings, then the issue is with the source/content.

Nathan :

And replacing with a full hd box (preferably via hdmi connection) should resolve that.

Customer:

What I am finding is that when I select 16:9 on the sky settings, the screen reverts to 4:3. I don't seem to be able to make the 16:9 stick

Nathan :

That may be simply due to the SD broadcast. If the native broadcast format is in 4:3, the box can't force it to be bigger. It can stretch and distort it, but it can't restore areas that were cut off for sd broadcast.

Nathan :

that is where the hd box would come in

Customer:

I have spotted "save new settings"!

Customer:

Yippee, it works

Nathan :

Ah it wasn't saved! That would help :)

Nathan :

Great, I'm glad to hear you got it back on track.

Customer:

Thanks for the irony! No, thanks - you saved me from going out to buy another tv. Happy Christmas

Nathan :

You're very welcome, and Merry Christmas to you as well.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.