info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

I need help with connecting my DVD recorder DMR-ES20D DIGA

I need help with connecting my DVD recorder DMR-ES20D DIGA to my television its already all set up and connected via scart lead but the only problem is that it doesn't respond with my television so I cannot see what my DVD is playing also the freeview doesn't seem to be working. Scart lead is working fine because I tested it on another DVD unit so that is not the problem so it must be something else but I don't know what it is please can someone help me?
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
info tech :

info tech :

Welcome

info tech :

Thanks for the Question

info tech :

One of the things many miss is that they must "pick out" theinput with the TVs remote control "INPUT" button have yoou done that?

info tech :

Do you know what I am referring to?

Customer:

no

Customer:

cannot find the input button

info tech :

OK let me know the model number of the TV found on the back of the TV please

info tech :

Then give me 5 mins

Customer:

ok

info tech :

The model number please?

info tech :

found on back of tv

info tech :

you still there?

Customer:

TH-42PV500B model

info tech :

ok just give me 5

Customer:

ok thanks

info tech :

http://tda.panasonic-europe-service.com/docs/2z549976f2z3z1fa7ez656ez706466z23z2ce971164440afb0de408e6ef753a525c10a3de1/tsn2/data/EU/TH37PV500B/OI/735327/TH_37_42_50PV500B_UK_170.pdf

info tech :

can you copy and paste that into your browser?

info tech :

or not please

info tech :

You can just click that one

info tech :

On page 52 it explains how you get into the input for the DVD

Customer:

what do i do from there

Customer:

ok

info tech :

Please click the above link go to page 52

info tech :

you use the TV/AV

info tech :

button on the remote then the colored buttons on the remote

info tech :

read page 52

info tech :

Let me know how it works out

info tech :

Please remember if all is well to rate the answer positively as this is the only way I receive credit from the site

info tech :

Any problems do not rate instead just reply back

Customer:

I can see a picture for a split second then it disappears it does when I change the input to AV1 to AV2

Customer:

its flickering

info tech :

Are you sure thats not the lead or the machine itself?

info tech :

do you have another similar dvd player to try?

info tech :

just to eliminate the TV

Customer:

lead is working perfectly because I used it on another device

Customer:

so it could be the machine

info tech :

Play a dvd in it

info tech :

then switch inputs

info tech :

if you dont do that the machine may be off tune

info tech :

so play a dvd switch inputs look at the display good/bad?

Customer:

ok

info tech :

if its good it means the machine is ok

info tech :

and needs tuning (the machine itself)

info tech :

that still wont be a problem with TV it means the tuning for the DVD recorder itself needs to be tuned and programmed you may need the manual to do that for the machine

Customer:

nothing

info tech :

OK you need to try a known good machine to eliminate the machine from the set

Customer:

the dvd machine was working before

Customer:

its only just recently stopped working

info tech :

OK so you may have thought it was a connection issue but is probably the machine

Customer:

I have another DVD player Panasonic Home Theater sound system SA-HT880

info tech :

swap the machine and you should be good I cant see this being a problem with tv

info tech :

ok try that

Customer:

which works perfectly with the same scart lead

Customer:

the TV is working fine and the other DVD player I have is working fine

info tech :

yes its the machine bad then if its working with that one

Customer:

okay so how do we fix this

info tech :

the machine cant be fixed its a hardware issue inside its not feasible and not econoic to fix to component level inside that machine you just throw these units away these days unfortunately

info tech :

some high end machines are economic but most are not

info tech :

if for example it cost £600- £800

info tech :

otherwise its throw away sorry for poor news

info tech :

I have answered the question thinking you had a connection issue Im not to know the unit is bad but at least you know that now and know what to do to get the inputs on

Customer:

ok thank you

info tech :

its all about knowledge not every situation is a good outcome but the knowledge you have now is more than what you had before you asked the question and maybe saved you money

info tech :

OK thank you

info tech :

A positive rating is appreciated thank you

info tech, Technician
Experience: Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience