Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Dear Sir On my tvonics Freeview + HD recorder DTRHD500 I

Dear Sir
On my tvonics Freeview + HD recorder DTRHD500 I cannot adjust the volume on the remote control.
I have tried all of the five remote control codes in the manual but it still does not seem to work. All other functions on the remote work ok.
I thank you and look forward to your reply.
Yours sincerely
Mr J Chambers
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, J.

Nathan :

Can you tell me the make/model of your television please, assuming you are attempting to control the volume of the tv speakers, and not some external audio system?

Customer:

dear nathan

Customer:

dear Nathan My tv set is make Loewe Model Concept L32. I am just trying to control the speaker volume on my tv set only

Nathan :

And you are wanting the tvonics dvr remote to operate the tv volume, correct?

Customer:

yes

Nathan :

Thanks. Just a moment while I check my database for other codes we can try here.

Nathan :

With the current codes you've tried, did you get any functionality from the tv at all, such as power?

Customer:

All other functions of the remote control work perfectly, just the volume control not working.

Nathan :

I understand the functions will work for the dvr box,

Nathan :

my concern is about the tv functions (power, menu, volume, mute, input, etc). Are any of those working, with any of the codes you've tried?

Nathan :

There is only one IR codeset that is specific to your L32 model, which is 1836. Can you please try that now, if you haven't already.

Customer:

will try, please wait for result

Nathan :

Sure thing, take your time.

Nathan :

I'm going to step out of the chat momentarily, to pause the timer (keeping your costs down), just reply back when ready and I'll return.

Customer:

I'm afraid the remote code you suggested does not work

Nathan :

Thank you for trying,

Nathan :

unfortunately, that is the one and only code that is specific to your model tv. Component manufacturers like tvonics include basic functionality for common devices at the time the remote is made, but are not able to provide coverage for every make and model, and are not able to update for every new device that comes out, so there is no guarantee of compatibility. Loewes units in particular are a bit obscure and difficult to program for as well.

Nathan :

In short, since this code didn't work, your dvr remote isn't compatible with the tv, and there is nothing else that can be done to make it work.

Nathan :

Your best option may be to purchase a more robust, true universal remote to control all of your devices, such as a logitech harmony that will work for all of your devices. It is programmed through an easy to use software program on your computer, which downloads the most up to date remote and device codes from the internet, so it is virtually guaranteed to work with all equipment. It will also give you easy to use macro functionality, so you can press a single button to watch a movie for example, and it will turn on the dvd player, tv, and surround system, tune to the correct inputs on the tv, and start the movie playing, etc. Because of the online database with specific codes for each model, this type of remote has much greater functionality than the basic universal remotes (including the one that came with your system.)

Nathan :

Here is an example:

Full Size Image
Logitech Harmony 650 Universal Remote (click for link)

Customer:

is this as far as you can go with solving the problem??

Nathan :

Unfortunately, yes. There is no solution possible here.

Nathan :

We've attempted the only code designated for your tv mode. This is coming down to a hardware limitation, meaning that the tvonics remote is simply not compatible with this tv. No matter what code is used, it isn't going to work.

Nathan :

So your only options at this point are to either use 2 separate remotes (tv remote for volume/power, dvr remote for everything else), or buying a better remote that can control both the tv and the dvr.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for assisting me with problem of the remote control. I rate your service as very good and I hope you receive the compensation you deserve.

Thank You

Yours sincerely

Mr. J Chambers

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome, Mr. Chambers.
I hope it worked out for you.
Have a happy new year,
Nathan