Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Toshiba 46VL758. Is thee any way I can connect a

I have a Toshiba 46VL758. Is thee any way I can connect a set of ear phones to this machine?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Nathan :

this is a common problem with most all modern flat screen tvs.

Nathan :

As all content these days is digital, so are the connections, so there are no analog audio outputs such as a headphone jack, or even the red/white stereo rca connectors.

Nathan :

You can make this work however, with the addition of a little converter box. That would provide an analog line level signal to feed a wireless headphone system.

Nathan :

If you were intending to use a wired headset, you would most likely need an external headphone amplifier as well.

Nathan :

Here is an example, it would connect to the digital audio out port on the back of the tv with an optical (fiber optic) cable

Nathan :

Then your headset transmitter can connect to the red/white ports on the converter box.

Customer:

I have a wireless headphone. But where do I get an appropriate converter box and how does it connect to the TV?

Nathan :

If you wanted wired headphones and would need an additional headphone amp

Full Size Image
Brainwavz AP001 Portable Headphone Amplifier (click for link)

Nathan :

I sent that information earlier. There is a link above to order the converter as well as the cord. It connects to the optical digital audio out port on the back of the tv.

Customer:

The he4ad phones I have are PhillipsSBC HC140/00 and have an IR stereo transmitter. Does your device eliminate this transmitter or do I connect it to this?

Nathan :

The convert is simply a means to allow the headphone transmitter to connect with the tv. That transmitter is still required.

Nathan :

The converter box simply connects inline between the tv and the phillips base station.

Nathan :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

Did you get my message?

Nathan :

Yes, and I replied.

Nathan :

9:48 AM

Customer:

I said that I have a Phillips cordless stereo headphones SBCHC140/00. If I acquired your recommended device, would your device substitute for the IR stereo transmitter I have or would I have too connect your device to my IR transmitter?

Nathan :

Again, you still need the existing equipment. The converter box installs inline between the tv and the phillips transmitter.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alastair,
We seem to be having some trouble with the live chat or you aren't scrolling down to see my replies, as I've sent the information several times now.
You install the converter between the tv and headphone system, it doesn't replace the transmitter it just lets the transmitter get an audio signal out of the tv.
Nathan, Installer