Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have Samsung tv and the channels keep changing by themselves

I have Samsung tv and the channels keep changing by themselves and keep moving up and down all the time and won't stop nothing works from the remote or the side buttons
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Nathan :

are you using an aerial or basic cable connection? Or a cable/satellite box?

Customer:

Just a basic cable connection no satelite or anything

Nathan :

Okay thank you for confirming.

Nathan :

This would tend to indicate a programming/firmware glitch, or a hardware problem with the tvs internal tuner.

Nathan :

Initially, can you please unplug power to the tv, at the mains, for 5 minutes

Nathan :

then turn back on and see if your'e able to navigate the channels.

Customer:

okay will try this and let you know

Customer:

Hi apparently my son has already tried this and the problem is still the same

Nathan :

Okay thanks for checking.
Are you still able to control other functions on the tv, such as volume, or access the setup menu?

Customer:

yes can still use these functions

Nathan :

Okay that would tend to indicate that this is a tuner malfunction,

Nathan :

can you go into the tv setup menu

Nathan :

and run the auto scan (aka channel search or auto program) function

Customer:

Can not run auto scan as everything keeps flickering all the time

Customer:

unable to control anything as everything keeps changing all the time

Nathan :

Do you have any other inputs/sources you can try, such as a dvd player for example?

Nathan :

I want to be sure that will work as well.

Customer:

Yes a playstation is already connected but what started to happen was first the volume began to go up and down and then the channels started to do the same so can not use any functions or even a dvd as access is not there because of the continue changing of all the menu functions on screen whatever we try to do

Nathan :

Okay so you are unable to even change the inputs?

Nathan :

You didn't mention the volume issue before, and you gave the impression that you could still access the menu earlier.

Customer:

Yes that is correct sorry it's my son he just told me now

Nathan :

Okay thank you for the update

Nathan :

that unfortunately changes the outcome here quite a bit

Nathan :

can you give me the full model number of the tv please?

Customer:

unable to find model number it's a 26 inch Samsung TV will the number be anywhere on the tv as it's mounted on to a holding bar

Nathan :

It would be printed on the back of the tv

Nathan :

That is fine, we'll skip that part for now.

Nathan :

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, likely a failing main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

Nathan :

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

Nathan :

At that point, it's time for a new tv. For a 26" model, unless it is less than a year old and still under warranty, it simply isn't worth fixing. You'd spend as much just on parts (not even factoring in labor) as you would to replace it with a brand new tv with a fresh warranty.

Nathan :

If it does come to that, I can recommend replacement options for you.

Customer:

Okay will try this option and get back to you maybe some time tomorrow hope that's okay

Nathan :

Sure thing, take your time.

Nathan :

You can boomark/favorite this page to get back with me whenever you're ready if you need more help.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan

Customer:

Thanks Nathan and you too! What is the best time to contact you before I go

Nathan :

Anytime is fine. I'm in the US, so I may miss you if it is overnight, but I'll reply back as soon as I get your message.

Customer:

Okay Thank you!

Nathan :

You're welcome, have a good day.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.