info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

Hi, I have a Samsung smart TV. When I press the 'Guide' button

Hi, I have a Samsung smart TV. When I press the 'Guide' button instead of seeing the guide to programmes, a 'not available' flag appears on the screen. Also, when I press the green 'Menu' button, the main menu with icons also fails to appear. Both functions used to be ok but now mysteriously do not work.
Please can you advise a course of action.
EP
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

I will need the model number please found on the back of the set?

I am assuming the set was previously working OK and this came out of the blue?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The model number is *****

The number ,BP32EO

Hope this is sufficient and you are correct that this problem came out of the blue.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
OK please perform an engineers reset on the TV by doing this, you need to get the set into the service menu, you do that by switching the set off to the red standby light, then with the remote control press INFO>>MENU>>MUTE>>Power ON, within 6 seconds, the set should come on with multiple characters and be in service mode, navigate to option 12 or 13 "reset" highlight and enter then press OK the set should reboot itself.

Let me know if this resolves your issue or not or if you have problems

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Anthony

I have run the engineers reset as instructed. The Plug and Play menu came up which was run through setting the TV up again, but the 'not available' is still appearing when the guide button is pressed. Also, the green menu button is still not functioning as it did.

Help!

Any more ideas?

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure its not the remote control itself?

Please point the remote at a cellphone or digital camera now prees buttons you know work, looking through the viewfinder at the front of the remote where the signal comes out you should see a glow from teh eye of the remote now press the buttons that are giving you trouble do you still see a glow?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All buttons show a white light when viewed through camera lens.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
If you reset correctly that would have been enough to reset the firmware and factory default the set totally re-initialising it , are you sure you carried that process out correctly?the set would have switched itself off and maybe back on again , but at the very least it would have switched itself off?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've re-run the engineer's reset with nothing else connected to the TV. I've run through the Plug and Play set-up process and the basic menu does appear when the TV is in DTV mode. I've reconnected my Samsung BD-HDD Combo but still get the 'not available' for the guide when in the HDMI mode, nor will the 'menu' button bring up the options that it used to eg. 'my devices', 'my contents', 'internet', 'watch TV, etc.

EP

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Aaaah you did not mention anything about the unit you have connected "combo" its this that will be the problem not the set, what is it?can you get me the model number please

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for not mentioning this before. It is a Samsung BD-HDD Combo. Model No. BD-D8500M. Let me know if you need the serial number.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
The firmware for the combo will be causing this NOT the TV

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/BD-D8500M/XU <<CLICK

Upgrade the firmware for the unit please

Let me know

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Anthony

I've followed the link and downloaded the firmware upgrade onto a USB stick but the instructions that it says will appear on the TV screen when the USB is inserted do not appear. What should I try next please?

EP

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

Try rebooting the combo, unplug from wallpower wait 5 mins then replug back in again

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've unplugged both devices for a considerable amount of time and then plugged back in. I've downloaded the firmware upgrade and unzipped it, copied it onto a USB and tried again, still to no avail. The upgrade method as per the Samsung link doesn't work. I'm not getting any of the options that it says I will see eg setting/support/software upgrade/ By USB. What next please.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry but if you can't get the firmware to take we are at a standstill it MUST take because we cant go any further as its very likely to be bad firmware....

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Anthony

Thank you for your help in this matter but I asked my son to look at the problem. He found that the firmware installed on the combo was already the latest version and by pushing a few buttons (which only he can understand) has resolved the problem for me.

EP

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks

If you think I deserve to be rated positively please do that thank you, ***** ***** the only way I receive any credit from the site for my time thanks

Anthony