Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My Sky remote control no longer works with the TV. I have changed

My Sky remote control no longer works with the TV. I have changed batteries and the remote works with my other TV's. I therefore cannot record, access recorded programmes etc. etc.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Can you tell me the model number of the tv please?

Nathan :

Do you have the original factory remote for this television?

Customer:

The model no. is UE32F4500AK. I have the original remote for the TV which works fine, it is the Sky remote control which no longer accesses the TV. I can view Sky on the TV live but not access any other functions.

Nathan :

Which specific functions are you having trouble with?

Nathan :

It sounds like the issue is with the sky box, not the tv. Will the sky remote control volume or power on the tv for example?

Customer:

None of the controls on the Sky remote are working so how do I now access my Sky menu, pause, record, view recorded programmes etc,

Nathan :

But you can still control the tv, correct?

Nathan :

Which means this isn't a tv issue, it is a problem with the sky box, which is connected to the samsung tv not responding.

Nathan :

Initially, please unplug power to this sky box, at the mains, for 60+ seconds to reset it

Customer:

Yes, but I can use my sky controller on other TVs which are all working fine and so did this one until 2 days ago.

Customer:

The Sky box is connected to a different TV, how does this affect this one?

Nathan :

So you have one box driving 2 tvs?

Customer:

It actually drives 3 TVs

Nathan :

Do they all display the same thing simultaneously?

Customer:

Yes

Nathan :

Or does each have its own independent view and control?

Nathan :

If they are all displaying the same thing content simultaneously, off one box, then your explanation doesn't make that other ones can be controlled but this one cant. Whatever you press on the remote would affect the content on any of the 3 tvs.

Customer:

I can access Samsung TV by using the sky controller on another tv to watch programme but this is hardly convenient, and all worked fine for the past year.

Nathan :

I'm sorry, but the details you've given me aren't adding up. Are you certain each tv doesn't have it's own set top box?

Customer:

I have one sky box. The engineers connected the three TV's up to work off this but whatever I am viewing in one room I am also viewing on any other tv. This is still the case. However, I can no longer use the remote to change anything on the Samsung, I have to do this in another room. It is like the tv no longer recognises the remote controller.

Nathan :

The tv was never responding to the controller in the first place, except for volume control perhaps

Nathan :

you likely have a wireless (RF) sky remote, that is changing the channels on the sky box, and subsequently displaying that on all 3 tvs

Customer:

No, I used the Samsung for volume control, the Sky controller is to access the Sky menu and all relevant functions.

Nathan :

Unless you don't have a RF remote, and they installed an infrared remote sensor at the location of each tv (transmitted back over the coax to the box)

Nathan :

in which case that sensor/relay may be blocked or faulty.

Customer:

Yes,

Nathan :

Do you have anything light that sitting near the tv?

Customer:

TV is not near a light but I now see that the infrared light is off, is this the fault?

Nathan :

Yes, that would be the issue then

Nathan :

That sensor could be disconnected, it could be defefective

Customer:

Ive turned the TV off and the red light comes on but when I turn TV back on red light goes off

Nathan :

You can check the connections, but beyond that you'd have to get a sky engineer out to install a new one for you.

Nathan :

This could just be a communication issue between this "station" and the box. Despite the other tvs working, I'd still suggest you go unplug the sky box at the mains for 60+ seconds to reset it, before doing anything else.

Customer:

oh heck, I was hoping it would be something simple. As a lady of certain years you'll have gathered Im not too clued up on technology!

Customer:

unplugging box

Nathan :

That's okay, these things can be somewhat complex, so don't feel bad.

Nathan :

If the reset doesn't help, then a call to sky would be next. This isn't going to be a tv problem or anything that you or samsung would be expected to resolve yourself.

Customer:

Will call Sky tomorrow, thanks

Nathan :

You're welcome, and thanks for trying.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.