Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

M4 screws which came with wall mount that I bought to mount

M4 screws which came with wall mount that I bought to mount my 22 inch Samsung do not seem to fit into the holes in the back of the tv . They only go in about three quarters of a turn . What can I do about this ?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

It is possible you'll need a specialty screw like an m3.5 for example. Mount manufacturers include a variety of common screws but can't cover sizes for every model on the market.

Nathan :

Could you give me the full model number of the tv, and I'll see if I can locate some more specific mount hardware requirements, before you go forcing anything and potentially do damage to tv.

Customer:

model # *****

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

Gerry

Nathan :

Thanks Gerry,

Customer:

Model # *****

Nathan :

Are you sure about that model though, it doesn't look right

Nathan :

That may be a serial, or you may have some letters/numbers mixed up

Customer:

model code isLT223C35OND/ZC

Customer:

also on back is...color display unit type no. LT223C350

Nathan :

That looks more like it,

Nathan :

thank you

Customer:

and fcc id ;A3LT223C350

Nathan :

These units do take a m4 bolt for their vesa mounting holes

Nathan :

Since yours isn't fitting, I'd hazard a guess that you have a chinese made mount that just had poor quality control and the taper on the included screws just isn't quite right.

Nathan :

Or that the thread pitch is wrong. I'd suggest running out to your local hardware store and picking up 4 new m4 machine screws.

Customer:

Tried that same result

Customer:

And I did read online someone posted that they had this problem and they just forced the m4 but I agree with you this does not seem like the right thing to do

Nathan :

It may be that the samsung holes are out of spec as well

Nathan :

But m4 is the spec'd size for this.

Nathan :

The internal bracket that contains those mount holes is pretty stout though, you wouldn't hurt it by forcing it in there,

Customer:

TV is mexico made so yeah I`m thinking that too ,

Nathan :

you just want to be careful not to go so deep that you could hit anything inside and damage the panel for example, but that is unlikely. 4-5 turns is enough to get a good bite.

Nathan :

If you have a m4 tap handy, you could also use it to ream out the holes a bit so the screw would fit properly.

Nathan :

if you try that, I'd do it with the holes facing down toward the floor (screen horizontal), so that no metal shavings can fall inside the case. Then vacuum it out well from underneath before inserting the screws and powering on.

Customer:

yeah there is room for that screw to penetrate at least 3/8 inch so ok I don't want to

Customer:

was gonna say I don't want to go buy a tap set but maybe I should ?

Customer:

eye yi eye

Nathan :

Well you can always try forcing in just 1 screw

Nathan :

if you just can't get it in there or are worried it is damaging something, then you could go get a tap at that point.

Nathan :

Even if you managed to break one of the hole mounts somehow, you'd still be fine. For a tv this small and lightweight, it would hang fine off just 2 or 3 screws if it had to.

Customer:

it is reassuring tho that you say it is fairly beefy

Customer:

k im gonna try one screw

Nathan :

I would try one of the bottom holes first

Nathan :

just in case. If something were damaged and you had to use just 2, you're better off hanging it from the top 2

Customer:

k

Customer:

ok it worked !

Nathan :

Great, glad to hear it.

Nathan :

Now if you back that same screw out, will it fit more easily into the others, since it's been "stressed" a bit already?

Customer:

Still tight in other holes but it seems fine . Maybe they`re meant to be that way .Almost feel like one of those locking type nuts , you know the ones with the plastic inside

Nathan :

They are really just stamped metal brackets,

Nathan :

but tight is better than loose.

Customer:

Right . So thanks for going thru that with me ,much appreciated !

Nathan :

You're welcome, glad to be of assistance.

Nathan :

Enjoy the new tv.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan

Customer:

Thanks Nathan