Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I'm in the uk and have a Toshiba dvd recorder which will not

I'm in the uk and have a Toshiba dvd recorder which will not recognise any discs at all irrespective of make. It still operates freeview and will record programs on the harddrive with playback, but it will not recird to dvd or playback recorded dvds.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems.
You can try several methods of cleaning the laser lens to see if it helps clear up the problem. The first is to purchase a CD/DVD laser lens cleaner disc, and run it through the system several times.
If your player is not reading any discs at all though, then try purchasing a can of compressed air (available at a computer or electronics retailer). Open the CD drawer, or remove the cover of the player by removing the screws on the sides and rear of the unit. Then spray the can approximately 10" from the lens to blow any dust off of it.
If it still doesn't work, you can opt to clean the lens eye itself, by using isopropyl alcohol, and a lint-free cloth to gently wipe the "eye". Then use a dry spot on the cloth to buff the eye clean. If the CD player is still not reading discs, then the lens or transport mechanism is faulty and would need to be replaced.
In this case the cost of repairs is typically near, or at the cost of replacing the unit unfortunately, and it would make more sense to replace, versus repairing.
If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied, please click a POSITIVE RATING, as I am an independent Tech- not a Site Employee, and the rating is the ONLY WAY I am credited.