Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My TV turns the sound without prompting. It does not respond

Customer Question

My TV turns the sound without prompting. It does not respond to The remote control. The menu appears by itself.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, What's the model number off of the back of your TV?
How long have you owned it for and when did the problem occur?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Toshiba 37BV700B. About 15 months.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. These symptoms all add up to a glitch in the processor which is located on the Main "AV Board" within the TV. In order to attempt to clear this, first disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Wait a full minute then plug the set back in and press power once.
Attempt to use the remote and see if the set responds to commands consistently.
If it does not, then the component that is causing this problem is called the EEPROM and is located on the "Mainboard" within the TV. This part controls all of the MENU functions, the audio, and channel changing on the set (along with remote functions).
The part number for the board is: 17MB35-4 20541047 TOSHIBA 37BV700B MAIN BOARD -and is typically an inexpensive part. Most shops will charge in the neighborhood of $150USB to replace the component (and the part itself can be found for roughly $50USB).
Beyond what we've tried above, unfortunately there are no quick fixes for this problem and the set would be in need of Mainboard replacement.
If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied, please click a POSITIVE RATING, as I am an independent Tech- not a Site Employee, and the rating is the ONLY WAY I am credited.