Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Sony Bravia TV Model No. KDL-40EX723. I have a Phonak

Customer Question

I have a Sony Bravia TV Model No. KDL-40EX723. I have a Phonak Compilot plugged into the scart socket. This streams the sound direct to my hearing aids. The problem is the volume of the TV is too loud in my aids. I have a small amount of volume control on my aids but this is insufficient. The remote control does not operate but in any case the idea is to allow other people to use the remote as normal as I would need the volume too loud for them without the Compilot. Can I turn the basic sound of the TV down so that it comes through the Compilot quieter, there is plenty of scope on the remote for other people to turn it up?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Nathan :

Unfortunately the options here are pretty limited. The tv has no specific adjustment for the scart volume as it is meant to be a line level connection to an external recorder primarily.

Nathan :

While some tvs have an audio output setting that can be adjusted to fixed/variable, that would apply to the red/white analog outs or the headphone outs anyway.

Nathan :

Your compilot should have a regular red/white stereo connector or 3.5mm minijack connector as well. Assuming so, please try using those ports, rather than the scart socket.

Nathan :

If you still don't have sufficient control that way, then your next option will be to forego the direct analog connections to the tv, and instead to use an external connection via the digital audio out.

Nathan :

This can connect to the optical port on back of the tv. It then will output a low line level connection as well as an amplified headphone connection with an adjustable volume control that would suite the desired use with your compilot, without affecting the volume through the tv speakers at all.

JACUSTOMER-z0kujzbz- :

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I am having difficulty reading it as it is displayed between two touching up and down arrows so I can only read one line at a time and not all the lines at all as they jump when I click on the arrows. I am sure there is a simple way of opening the area but I have tried all I know (not much I'm afraid) with no success. I am registered blind, having only one working eye. This one has very little peripheral vision so it took me a long time to work out where your reply was. Could you explain how to open the area with the reply on or send it in a different format. Sorry to be a pain. I have to go and get my father, who has dementia, ready for church now, then cook Sunday lunch and we are visiting my son this afternoon so I am unlikely to have much time to access the TV today. I should have time tomorrow to try out your suggestions as my husband will be at work. Due to my disabilities it takes me a long time to do things but I usually get there in the end if you can bare with me.

Nathan :

I am resending the info in another format, per your request.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** more sense when you can read all the lines! I think I will order the 'Lindy' as it seems the most satisfactory long term answer if I have understood correctly. It will allow my husband to use the TV remote to control the volume to suit him and I would be able to control the volume to my hearing aids via the Compilot using the volume control on the 'Lindy'. Will I require any additional cables to make this work ?

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Yes, Maureen,
that is exactly correct.
You do need an "optical" cable to connect the lindy box to the back of the sony. You should find that on the same amazon page as the lindy product listing, as well as here:
http://amzn.to/1sS6lz5
For the optical cable they are all the same, there is nothing special about the "high end" ones, so get a cheap and basic one.
Best regards,
Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have ordered both items so hopefully this will work and I can leave you in peace.

Thanks for your advice and patience

Maureen

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome, Maureen.
Feel free to get back in touch if you have trouble setting it all up.
Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning Nathan

I have now received the optical cable and the lindy box. I have plugged one end of the cable into the digital audio out(optical) socket on the back of the tv and the other end into the optical cable input on the back of the lindy and switched it to position 1. I have plugged a Cinch cable with the red and white ends into the line out sockets in the front of the lindy matching the appropriate colours, connecting the other end of the cable to the Compilot. (The Cinch cable was supplied with my Compilot).

The sound system on the TV is set as follows

Dual Sound Stereo

Speakers TV speakers

Headphone/Audio out Audio Out

Headphone speaker link On

Audio out Fixed

HDMI/DVI Audio Source Auto

Key Tone On

Start-up Sound Off

Digital Audio Out PCM

TV Position Table Top Stand

The Compilot is streaming to my hearing aids as normal, the TV volume is working independently as normal. Turning the volume control on the lindy makes no difference to either! Where have I gone wrong?

Help!!!!

Maureen

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hi Maureen, sorry to hear that.
Are you getting normal sound out of the aids through the lindy/compliot configuration, but you just can't adjust the volume?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am getting a louder sound than the normal TV volume through my Compilot as I was before but I cannot adjust it using the lindy. Adjusting the TV volume makes no difference to me which is as it should be - my husband needs to be able to adjust the volume to suit his needs. I have a small amount of volume control on my hearing aids and on the Compilot but it is not always enough depending on which channel or program I am trying to hear.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Okay good, we're on the right track then.
I believe the issue here is the connection used from the compilot to the lindy. Rather than plugging into the red/white jacks on the lindy, which are most likely a fixed output, try using the 3.5mm (minijack) plug instead, which should be governed by the volume control knob.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have plugged the audio cable for 3.5mm jack sockets into the headphone socket on the front of the lindy. This takes me back to controlling the volume with the TV remote. The lindy volume control knob still does nothing.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You'll still have optical from the tv to the lindy. Then 3.5mm from the lindy h/phone jack to the compilot box. The lindy box needs power connected to it as well.
In that state the lindy volume knob should adjust the output to the compilot.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a USB cable supplied with the lindy but no way of connecting it to the mains, presumably I need some sort of adapter, I'm assuming my Kindle HD charger will not do. I have found a 'pro power USB mains dual power supply' for £5.95 on Amazon, is this what I need?

Since fitting the lindy the signal from the Phonak TV link to my Compilot only works if I am close to the TV, I cannot sit in my usual chair without it cutting out. Before fitting the lindy I could go to the kitchen and still hear the sound ( it states in the instructions it should connect a distance of 30 metres) Is this likely to improve if I buy an adapter and plug it in to the mains or is this just a waste of time and money. Maybe I am trying to achieve the impossible.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Your kindle charger would work just fine. The tv likely has a usb port on the side of it as well that you can use.
I suppose it's possible that the lindy is somehow interfering, but it is probably just the positioning of the compilot/transmitter. If you move it away from the tv a bit that should help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried both these connections in turn. Both have the same result, the good news - the volume control works, the bad news - it is accompanied by a loud buzzing noise and if the normal TV volume is switched on via the remote control, I can hear both but one slightly after the other like an echo on an outdoor loudspeaker system at a school sports day. I am disconnecting it for the time being as my husband wants to hear the TV and the echo and buzzing are not helping me at all!

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
The buzzing may be a ground loop issue, or interference with the compilot wireless signal. Try plugging the power for the lindy into the same outlet as the tv. If it is on a different outlet that may be causing the problem. It may be worth trying a set of wired headphones direct to the lindy just to see how that compares - if it is ok then we'd know it's a compilot issue.
It is typical for there to be a slight delay (resulting in the echo) when using both the tv and the eternal speaker (hearing aids) like this, though usually if you have the aids turned up enough it would block out the main speakers.