info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

my Samsung tv says weak no signal. All seems ok with the ariel. I

Customer Question

my Samsung tv says weak no signal. All seems ok with the ariel.
I have tried source, menu, etc which are very clear on the screen. Then when I press channel, its all speckly and weak no signal.
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

Welcome
Thanks Question

I will need the model number please found on the back of the set?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

LE19B541C4W

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Carolyn if your seeing speckles....you shouldnt be because thats analogue and analogue has been off few years now ATV means analogue, you need to get the set into digital mode so their should be a DTV button on the remote or you may have to toggle one button to get ATV/DTV?its DTV you need to be in anyhow let me know what happens then

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I haven't got a DTV button on the remote. Pressing down a channel button doesn't bring uP DTV.

I WENT TO SOURCE, MENUE, PLUG AND PLAY, and put DIGITAL. nO LUCK STILL.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Carolyn yes I just noticed that, really odd

OK you need to press menu, then the channel menu and autostore, make sure this is selected to AIR then it should show digitla and analogue obviously you want digital the key is that the set must not be in cable mod

Let me know

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It says autostore completed.Digital channels 0.Pressed ok and its back to speckles, weak or no signal.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
OK its not finding anything are you sure the aerial is OK?have you tried another set on the aerial just to make sure its good?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I haven't tried that as the other TV is heavy and in another room.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Carolyn theirs just two things that can cause this

A bad aerial
A bad tuner in the set

In most cases though its a problem with the signal itself ie the aerial we are stuck now until its verified that the aerial point is OK

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. So I need to get an aerial person to go on the roof do I?

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Carolyn no I did not say that, you need to verify if the arrial point where you have the set is working properly, the only way to do that is to try another set there OR buy a cheap signal strength meter £20 from maplin their is no other way ideally you need to try another TV at that same aerial point if it works we know the tuner is bad in the set if it does not work we know the aerial is bad, if the aerial is bad THEN you call out a rigger

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have just managed to wheel the big TV into the bedroom. Connected the ariel and input plug. Nothing. Then plugged in the big TV'S own plug.

It came up with a clear blue screen saying NOT TUNED IN. Does this help at all?

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
OK yes thatseems to indicate you have a bad aerial, now do you have 2 aerials?one bedroom and one room?or is it split via an amplifier?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The one main room is a big aerial on the roof. The one from the bedroom is a lead which goes through the outside wall up to the roof, and is joined on to the main aerial.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
OK Carolyn you have a problem its probably got a masthead splitter amp thats gone bad or the lead has gone bad, please also make sure thats the coax plug is not shorting out, what I mean by that is the inner lead is not touching the braid otherwise you will get the same results....no signal

Let me know if I can do anything else

Please remember to rate the answer positively as this is the only way I receive credit from the site thank you

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is a green light on the box connected to the aerial input. However when I tried the lead on the big TV , belonging to the bedroom TV it didn't work. But the big TV'S own plug worked on the big TV.

When I plugged the big TV's plug into the bedroom TV still got the same speckles and message.

Nothing is touching. So the problem you suggested, is it something I can purchase from a shop, or aerial man?

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
OK have you tried the TV from the bedroom on the big TVs aerial point?that will prove fro sure you have an aerial problem because you know that the big TV works OK, so try the bedroom TV there try a retune like before and let me know how this works out

Anthony
info tech, Technician
Experience: Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have connected it in the lounge, and retuned. A lovely picture and more channels than I had before. Then when I took it back to the bedroom, and reconnected the TV there, it had a black screen, could get DVA sign, but weak or no signal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Aerial man found water had got into the cable ( which was on the roof, and then through the outside wall, into the bedroom).

So he has put the cable through the loft, and a new box thing in the bedroom.

We now have far more channels than before.

Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Yes had to be that and yes its best to get a rigger in to do the work because if you tried to do that you may not have expected water in the coax lead......a common problem but unseen

Good to hear its working again

Anthony