Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

my hatachi tv 42HYT42U dose not pick up my external hard

Hi my hatachi tv 42HYT42U dose not pick up my external hard drive fat32nfiles but dose pick up my memory stick also fat32 files
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Nathan :

How big is that external drive? What is the model?

Customer:

Its a 1TB mac book formatted for windows 8

Nathan :

It is an actual laptop? Or you have an external drive in an enclosure that came from the macbook?

Nathan :

The most likely issue here is simply the disc size. This is a fairly basic model tv, and while it has the usb functions, it is primarily intended for small files from a memory stick for things like a photo slide show. It is not going to recognize a drive of this size.

Customer:

it recognizes 16gb memory stick

Nathan :

You do need to also be sure though that the drive has power. The usb is not going to have sufficient power to run an external drive, just a basic stick. The drive would need external power to operate.

Customer:

its got its own power supply

Nathan :

Other than confirming it has power, and updating the firmware on the tv, that is the limit of what you can do yourself. This would only otherwise be size limit related.

Nathan :

These sets typically have a 250gb limit of what they can recognize, though many of them top out much lower at 16 or 32gb even.

Nathan :

You should however be able to just stream the same content via DLNA over the network from a pc, rather than usb direct

Customer:

how do i update firmware

Nathan :

A firmware updated isn't likely to fix this, but it doesn't hurt to try. Your tv has to be connected to the internet, then look in the setup menu for a firmware/software update function. It may be up to date already, or not have any new updates available. Hitiachi is not very good about supporting these with frequent updates.

Customer:

i will give it a try

Nathan :

Thanks, ***** ***** know how it works out, if you have a chance.

Customer:

how do i connect tv to internet

Nathan :

You can use a wired ethernet connection to the router, or set it up via wifi from the hitachi setup menu

Customer:

i can fine wifi in settings

Nathan :

Are you sure you gave me the right model number?

Nathan :

The model you indicated is a "smart" tv and would have built in wifi. If you're not seeing it in the setup menu look on the remote for a button that says Smart or Apps and press that, and it should prompt you to connect.

Customer:

the model is 42hyt42u no button on remote says smart or apps

Nathan :

Is there a "smart vue" or just "vue" button on the remote?

Customer:

no

Nathan :

If you look on the back of the tv, do you see an ethernet/lan port (looks like a phone jack, but about twice the size)?

Customer:

yes

Nathan :

Are you sure your model number isn't perhaps 42HXT42U (X instead of Y)?

Customer:

its a y maby a missmprint

Nathan :

Ok it looks like these models don't actually have wifi built in. It can use wifi, but you have to buy an external dongle (usb wifi adapter) for that to work. So for you to do any updates (which may or may not even be available at this point) you'd have to either purchase that, or connect the tv directly to your router via eithernet.

Customer:

ok i'v found my manual i will see if that helps me thanks

Nathan :

You're welcome, and best of luck to you.

Nathan :

Remember, even if there isn't an update that will let the drive work directly, once you get it on the network you can stream from the computer anyway.