Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Sony KDL-42W653A - tv shuts down just a few seconds after being

Customer Question

Sony KDL-42W653A - tv shuts down just a few seconds after being powered on and then flashes red light 3 times.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?
- Was there any storm in area that might caused the problem?
These info will help to troubleshoot the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

about 2 years old and no storms that I know of. It had been plugged into a power strip and the other electronics on that same strip still work.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Paul info.
I'm working on your TV problem and get back to you in 15 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I need to step out few hours. I'll be back online later.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Paul,
3 times flashing power light indicates DC Alert, Audio Error or Communication Error in TV and mostly this kind of problem occurs due to defective main board where all video input jacks are located and replacement of main board will help to resolve the problem.
This kind of repair should be done by handy person to avoid any damage to TV as lots of things will need to be removed carefully from lower center of TV to take out the main board. I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found that on line as well, but I also saw someone had posted that it was due to the lamp door being opened or ajar. Did you get this information from Sony? I just want to verify that I need a new part and not just a small adjustment. Thanks.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Paul,
Info mentioned in answer is from related service manual and 'lamp-door' issue isn't possible with this flat screen TV.
3 times flashing light due to lamp door ajar is rear projection TV that is similar to multimedia projectors and utilize a lamp as backlight source and Sony has stopped making such TVs years ago.
Rest assured, I'm Sony tech and still working with Sony, I hope these info will help, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Shahid. When I bought the TV, they said it had a 5 year warranty and its only been about 2 years. I'm assuming this would be covered by Sony, right? As a Sony tech, would love to know your thoughts.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Paul,
Please check the warranty documents of TV to see if it is covered with 5 years warranty then call the number written on warranty card to get it repaired under warranty. If you bought extended warranty plan while purchasing this TV then yes, it could be 5 years.
I hope these info will help, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.