Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Our three-year old Sony flat screen TV (with Sky broadband

Customer Question

Our three-year old Sony flat screen TV (with Sky broadband through talk-talk is stuck. It won't change channels, manually or with remote ( yes, changed batteries) . At first it was just slow, jabbing buttons many times would eventually work-- but now it is stuck. I unplugged it from the wall and plugged it in again, and now all it shows is a loop about how the TV works.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Nathan :

Could you give me the full model number of the tv please?

JACUSTOMER-gwz3x52e- :

KDL40EX401

JACUSTOMER-gwz3x52e- :

SFR No. is: (###) ###-####and the date of manufature is: 11/2010

JACUSTOMER-gwz3x52e- :

I'm here

Nathan :

Thank you information.

Nathan :

Will the tv respond to any commands at all, either from the remote or manual buttons? I'm primarily interested in if you're able to access the sony on screen setup menu at all.

JACUSTOMER-gwz3x52e- :

Nope, it is frozen on the set up instructions and i have turned it off because it is just repeating all the Box set offers I don't want. Husband is working a crossword.

Nathan :

Okay, it sounds like the firmware is corrupted, and/or the tv is stuck in the demo mode.

Nathan :

What you can try to resolve this yourself is to update the firmware on the tv manually

JACUSTOMER-gwz3x52e- :

Ok tell me how ?

Nathan :

this is done by downloading an update file to your computer, putting it on a usb memory stick, and installing that to the tv, which will hopefully recognize and process the update

Nathan :

CLICK HERE

Nathan :

On that page that comes up, click on the blue I AGREE box

Nathan :

and the file will download

JACUSTOMER-gwz3x52e- :

Moy old computer is a Mac and I don't know how to update stuff. I mean it might download but then I don't know what to do with it. Also I dont have a memory stick so I guess I'm not going anywhere with this. . . . what do you think ?

Nathan :

You can do this on any computer, but you will need a usb memory stick to proceed. They are readily available most anywhere that sells electronics or even office supplies, at a minimal cost.

JACUSTOMER-gwz3x52e- :

My husband and I are elderly and housebound in a small English village and it is not possible to get into manchester to an office supply store. However I will phone to see if any of my grandchildren are in and ask if they have a memory stick I can borrow.

Nathan :

I am nearly certain that one of them would, and would be able to do this quite simply.

Nathan :

I'll provide the instructions here:

Nathan :

1. Download the sony_tvupdate_2010_1514_uc_dtv.pkg file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory ) on your computer.

2. Go to the directory where the file was downloaded and verify that the size of thesony_tvupdate_2010_1514_uc_dtv.pkg file is 20,845,850 bytes.

1. Right-click the sony_tvupdate_2010_1514_uc_dtv.pkg file, and click "Properties".

2. On the "sony_tvupdate_2010_1514_uc_dtv.pkg Properties" screen, verify that the "Size:" listed is "19.8 MB (20,845,850 bytes)".
      Note: The "Size on disk:" listed may be different. This is normal.

3. If the file size is different than the "20,845,850 bytes", please download thesony_tvupdate_2010_1514_uc_dtv.pkg file again.

3. Format a compatible USB storage device the FAT32 file system and connect it to your computer.
    Note: View formatting instructions and the list of compatible USB storage devices.

4. Go to the directory where the file was downloaded, right-click on thesony_tvupdate_2010_1514_uc_dtv.pkg file and, from the menu, click "Send To...", and then click the drive (EX: Removable Disk (E:)) that represents your USB device. The update file will be copied onto your USB device.

5. Remove the USB device from your computer.

6. Power tv off. Insert USB stick, power tv back on, and await the update to begin.

JACUSTOMER-gwz3x52e- :

I have located a young person with a usb stick to come and download the file tomorrow and plug it into the TV (Where?) But she doesn't say what time so I will have to wait unti ??? meanwhile, should I bookmark this page so it won't disappear, or can I send this screen to myself as an e-mail link? (don't want to lose you.)

Nathan :

You can bookmark/favorite this page to get back with me later if needed.

Nathan :

After you do the rating step (smiley faces) this chat converts to a normal web page, which you can also save, print, email, etc. You're still welcome with me after if needed.

JACUSTOMER-gwz3x52e- :

Thank you-- I will re-connect tomorrow after we get the usb stick proceedure into the TV and tell you what happened. Thank you . Raven Wenner

Nathan :

You're welcome, and best of luck to you!