Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have just bought a Samsung EU48H6400 smart TV to replace

I have just bought a Samsung EU48H6400 smart TV to replace my Panasonic Viera, and when I connect it to my ageing Denon AV receiver via the Audio Out by Phono (it doesn't have HDMI), and set the TV speakers to External speakers (Receiver being greyed out) I get no sound at all. The Amp is working fine, so is there a further setting on the tv I need to change please?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

,
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions and would like to say that if you seem to lose me in the conversation then just refresh this window or manually scroll down to the last line , it does not auto scroll down to the last reply.
That being said;

When you say that you connected your denon by "phono " cables , do you also mean RCA type left/right plugs , usually one red and one white ?

If so , did you connect it at the back of the tv where it says " R audio L " next the the Y - Pb - Pr terminals ?

If so then those are inputs and will not do .

On your tv there are only 2 types of audio outs , one is the optical and if your denon does not have that type of input then the only one left will be the headphones jack that uses a 3.5 mm stereo plug .

That could be used with a cable that would look like the one at the link below ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cy13jny6kpeppix/MINI_TO_RCA.jpg?dl=0

Other than that the denon could be connected directly into the cable box if you have one .

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Hope this help and please take the time to rate my answer positively (use the stars to rate) if that answers your question as it is the only way i get paid you , otherwise do not rate at all , just let me know and we`ll see what can be done.
Note that you can reach me here at any time after rating if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry delay. I now understand, and have connected via Optical cable, and adjusted the AV Amp to use this, and the results are outstanding.

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Glad to hear that and yes that would be the best way of connecting this.

Thank you excellent rating .

Cheers