Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Sony HX803 (KDL-40HX80) 3D TV. Is there any simple

Customer Question

I have a Sony HX803 (KDL-40HX80) 3D TV. Is there any simple way that I can wirelessly connect this into my computer which is in a different part of my room - i.e. effectively, I would like to be able to use the TV screen as an additional large computer screen. Is this possible, please. Many thanks.
John
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Nathan :

while this is possible, it doesn't have this capability right out of the box. Some additional equipment would be necessary.

Nathan :

The internal "smart" features of the app don't have built in support for "widi" which is the protocol that would be used to do what you want over the existing wifi network.

Nathan :

It is possible though by adding a wireless hdmi transmitter/receiver system to the tv and pc

Nathan :

Depending what you're wanting to display, there are several options . Can you tell me what content you're looking to get on the tv? Is it computer programs you use, or primarily , netflix, etc?

JACUSTOMER-e4zmckib- :

nATHAN

JACUSTOMER-e4zmckib- :

Thanks so quickly. My eyesight is not as good as it once was (I am aged 71, and with progressive MS - which makes life a bit difficult). Therefore, I would simply like to be able (wirelessly) to be able to effectively use my TV as a computer monitor.

Nathan :

Thanks information,

Nathan :

While this is possible, the equipment to do so can be expensive ($150 on average), a

Nathan :

and if you have poor eyesight, just having the screen be larger won't help much if you are at a distance that you need a wireless connection

JACUSTOMER-e4zmckib- :

As an avid football fan, I often link in to a European football match on line, but would love to be able to watch this on my TV. I am not so bothered about my general PC work, because with the benefit of reading glasses, I do not have a major problem. Also, I know how to increase the text size/screen resolution etc. to accommodate my eyesight shortcomings.

Nathan :

you would be much better served to be closer to the tv, and simply connect the computer to the tv with a hdmi cable, which would be much lower cost.

Nathan :

If you are primarily wanting to stream things from a web browser though (football, youtube, etc) and not worried so much about things like word processing documents or spreadsheets, you can do this quite easily with a device like a chromecast, $30, via wifi.

JACUSTOMER-e4zmckib- :

Thanks Nathan,

Nathan :

You're welcome

Nathan :

With a chromecast like this, provided you use the google chrome browser, most any content in the browser can be sent to the tv display

JACUSTOMER-e4zmckib- :

I reckon that the Google Chromecast HDMI will do the trick, so thanks very much. Best regards.

JACUSTOMER-e4zmckib- :

John

Nathan :

You're welcome, John

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

again Nathan,

Perhaps I concluded our chat a little too soon. To prove to you how poor I am at IT, could you please just answer another question.

If I purchase a Google Chromecast, presumably this plugs into the TV set? And then, do I have to do anything further with either the PC or the TV in the 'Settings' menus , or will the device automatically pick up the wifi? And then, if I have my football match streaming on my PC monitor, presumably there is something in one of the menus on my Sony TV which I have to tune in to, connection to work?

Hoping you an just clear this up.

Many thanks.

John

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Yes John, it plugs into the tv, via a hdmi port (just like a cable/satellite box, dvd player, etc would).
You'd use the INPUT menu on the tv to pick up the chromecast.
There is an initial configuration step, where your computer (or a phone/tablet) needs to sync up to the chromecast to "teach" it how to get onto yoru wifi. Once that is done the computer just needs to be told to "cast" a particular screen/application to the tv as needed.
Hope that makes sense,
Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Once again, my very real thanks, Nathan. I shall purchase a Google Chromecast in the next few days, and I shall then follow your instructions.

If this idiot here still has problems, I do hope that you will not mind if I come back to you again?

Thanks again, and kind regards.

John

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Sure thing John, feel free to get back in touch and I'll be happy to advise further.
Nathan