Steven
Steven, Technician
Experience:  Lic. and insured, 30 years experience.
59014109

I have an LG TV model 55UB820V, and cannot get it to recognise

Customer Question

I have an LG TV model 55UB820V, and cannot get it to recognise the new HDD bought to use Time Machine function. HDD is 2TB WD with own power supply, as per LG spec. Have also tried a Seagate 1TB HDD. Have followed instructions to initialise it, but the Initialise command is not in the Time Machine 'Options' menu, although the other 2 commands are there. Have been onto LG support and the 1st guy said not all HDDs are compatible, send him details and he would check if mine was OK. Did that, but another guy picked up my reply and did not answer fully, and now no one from LG will respond to further enquiries, as if I have upset them some how.
Category: TV
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please continue. Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How has the cost increased from £14 to £20 ?

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.
I have a few questions first.
Is the tv connected to the internet?
Do you have the latest firmware installed?
To check the firmware
Please select setting > support > software update
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, latest software installed. I did this when initially setting TV up, and have checked a couple of times since, including this morning. I have a feeling that the problem of the initialising command being missing is linked to the compatability of HDD issue, ie if none compatible HDD, then no command. I have asked this of LG support, but have not got an answer. I am really disappoited with LG over this, I may write to someone higher up the managerial ladder.

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a USB stick you could try instead of a hard drive? If you do could you let me know if you are able to initialize that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

LG specs say only a powered HDD (ie with separate power unit) will work, although I did try a 64 GB USB stick, and it did not work.