info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

When switching from an HD channel to non HD the format changes

When switching from an HD channel to non HD the format changes to give a distorted image (i.e. people look skinny). This can be corrected by resetting the format to 'full. This extra procedure is a nuisance and seems to have come about since the software update download before last. Can this be fixed to retain the correct format experienced with HD channels? Advice would be appreciated.
***** ***** email *****@******.***
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

I am sorry you're having problems here I will need the model number of the set please found on the back of the set?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Anthony. The number is

KDL- 42W653A

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

KDL-42W653A

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Ken can you let me know which version of the software/firmware the set is running it should be somewhere in the settings menu

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Anthony: The software is PK64.510EVA

Device ID (should you need it) BO:00:01:9E:BA:F6

There is a HUMAX hard disc/Freesat recorder connected.

Good luck. Glad you are still on the job!

Ken

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Ken I am not sure if you wrote that down wrong so please re-check it, is it

PKG4.510EUA? or is it how you wrote?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry. My mistake. You are right. 510EUA should read VA i.e V not U.

K

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Sorry do you mean its as you said?

Thats the way you said originally?please send it again in full thanks

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll get it right one day...

Software is as you said PKG.510EUA U not V

K

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Ken how are you viewing TV services?satellite/cable box/aerial?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Freesat received via a HUMAX FOXSAT-HDR and, of course, a satellite dish

K

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Ken the box if you are watching via HDMI will force the set into 16:9 if the programme is in HD, now when you say the set goes into SD what banner do you see on the display to make you believe its SD?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

On Channel 101 the bottom banner says HD but the image is distorted unless reset to FULL. But on 108 or 200 the banner shows HD and the image is correct. Sky News (202) is distorted and there is no HD shown on the banner. Very complicated.

However, I have just discovered that by changing from HDMI to AV1 all channels whether HD or not yield undistorted images, having retained the FULL setting. (Not 16:9) To recap: HDMI forces everything into 16:9 and some channels respond with distorted pictures. Ken

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Ken yes its all HD its just some channels the aspect ratio is changing when it should not be, AV1 may not be HD if its NOT component input, if its scart or composite that will be SD, you can only get HD via HDMI or component input.

Ken you need to go into the settings of the BOX in those settings you will find the aspect ratio or it may be termed format (using the box remote)please make sure the box is set to 16:9

Let me know
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will check the Humax tomorrow and will report back, but I am doubtful whether the settings have changed. It has been working fine for years and there have been no software downloads to upset things, unlike the Sony TV. I still think it is a TV software update that has brought about the picture format problem.

Regards,

Ken

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Yes but thats the latest version and their are no reports of this causing any issues

The box though can develop a software glitch so its worth checking it out

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Anthony: The Humax settings are

SCREEN RATIO 16:9 widescreen

DISPLAY FORMAT 16:9 cut out

We have tried changing the display format to auto without success and have returned to the 16: 9 cut out. May have to live with it. Ken

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
OK thats set correctly at this point you should reboot the box and the TV by unplugging from wallpower waiting 5 mins then replugging back in and trying again if its the same then if your sure it happened during a firmware upgrade then it is possible the firmware became corrupt, if thats the case the only solution then is to replace the mainboard, I can help you with that ,not sure if you want to go that far.

Let me know

A positive rating is appreciated thank you

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good news, switching off, unplugging and rebooting seems to have worked. We are also not getting the weird half-page of 'noise' when changing channels.

For the record: the FULL (not 16:9) setting is maintained throughout, whether HD or SD and the picture is normal and undistorted. Would you advise switching off Sony's automatic software setting to avert future problems?

Ken

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
No ken you need the software ON

Glad that worked

Let me know if you need anything else

Please consider rating the answer positively thank you there will be a rating bar with this post, rating me positively is the only way I receive credit from the site thank you

Anthony