Pete
Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have a Sharp Aquos TV, (it has LCDTV GA387WJSA on the

I have a Sharp Aquos TV, (it has LCDTV GA387WJSA on the remote). Problem is simple but hugely annoying. Every minute or so the menu settings picture/audio/power etc appears on the screen. Pressing END, RETURN or MENU makes it go away, but it appears again a few minutes later. Turned it on and off, no effect. Even took batteries out of the remote no effect. Any ideas?

Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Pete :

Hi there!

Pete :

It sounds as though a button is sticking, either on the remote, or on the TV itself.

Pete :

If removing the batteries from the remote did not stop it happening, and there are no other remotes nearby that could be causing it to occur, then the problem is likely with the menu button on the TV itself.

Pete :

Over time, dust and grime can build up around the buttons on the TV's control panel and cause the buttons to connect intermittently.

Pete :

You can try spraying compressed air around the buttons, or you can partially disassemble the TV and use electronic contact cleaner to clean under the buttons and prevent them making contact when they shouldn't.

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** it a good clean and see if it helps.

Pete :

Ok, let me know how it goes!

Customer:

Hi Pete, I managed to solve it the end. Somewhere deep down along the way I had ticked a box that said 'show demonstration' and that's simply what the tv was doing. Un-ticked the box and all was fine.