MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
11519491

I've got a Panasonic DVD Recorder model DMR-EZ48VEB,

I've got a Panasonic DVD Recorder model DMR-EZ48VEB, connected to a Panasonic 32" TV. When I try to do a timer recording by pressing Guide on the remote. the television screen goes blank, and I have to switch the recorder off, and on again. This sometimes happens when I press play to view a VHS tape. In this situation the screen is blank but the speech is still there. When this happens tp appears fleetingly instead of the programme number. I can't find what tp means/is in the instruction manual. Can you please give me clue as to what is going wrong, and how to rectify it. Thank you.

Category: TV
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 2 years ago.
MasterFixIt :

Hi good morning are you here?

MasterFixIt :

Since I see no response from you I will switch us to Q & A please answer there;-)

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hi George,
how old is your DVD recorder?
Also do you need to reset it every time before recording?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael,

I bought two, 9th October 2009, when we were converted to digital, ie just over 5yrs..

I don't have to reset it each time I want to do a timer recording. What happened today is the first time this particular problem has happened.

Hope this helps to solve this problem.

George

Thanks George, this is most likely due to the batter in the Eprom that holds these setting.
It really isn't economical to fix this because Panasonic wants about $85.00 FOR THAT CIRCUIT BOARD. Panasonic used to be very good but over the last 15 years their quality has really gone down hill.
I wish I had better news for you on this I really do.
If you have some electronic soldering experience we can help you replace that board, but really, you can replace the unit with one that has more features and for less money.
In any case let me know if you are going to replace the board at fault or simply replace the entire unit.
I here to help.I will stick with you until you are sure, please don’t forget to rate my service to you before you close this page. I will be available to you at no additional cost , you can then get in touch with me anytime by simply replying to this message.
Thank you and have a great day !
Tech Michael
w