Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

my tv has vertical coloured strips on right side of screen

my tv has vertical coloured strips on right side of screen.pat
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Hi Pat, sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Nathan :

Can you tell me the make/model of the tv?
Does this happen on all inputs/sources? (cable/satellite, dvd, game, media/apps, etc)
If you bring up the tv on screen setup menu, is that affected by the lines as well?

Customer:

samsung model le37a557p2fxxu. It happens on all sources and inputs on all sides,and on tv screen setup menu.thanks pat

Nathan :

Thank you for the information, Pat.

Nathan :

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, most likely a bad tcon or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points, including the lcd panel itself. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

Nathan :

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

Nathan :

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, etc. Replacing the tcon would be the first step, followed by the main. If neither help, you're looking at a bad panel, which cannot be fixed.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv this size/age, replacement will typically make more sense, especially given the risk that the panel may be failing, as you'd be on the hook for the initial diagnostic/repair costs of changing boards, even if it didn't work. You can buy a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty for the same price or less than you'd spend on repairs.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.