Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Tv gone blank. Has sound only. Nothing works. How can I reset

Tv gone blank. Has sound only. Nothing works. How can I reset it? Panasonic TX-L37E5B.
I have the remote but vol- and menu button didn't reset nor did vol- and mute. Now I cannot even get sound! No menu comes up...
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Hi there, and sorry to hear you're having trouble. Were you doing this reset process all from the panasonic remote?

Customer: Trying anything Nathan. Both remote and TV buttons, no screen comes up on tv to access menus...
Customer: Will stay online til get this sorted
Customer: What you suggest?
Nathan :

Nathan :

The factory reset process is to hold volume down on the TV, while holding MENU on the remote, for 5 seconds, starting with tv on.
If effective the tv will power itself off and back on

Customer: Hi Nathan. Can you help me?
Nathan :

The reset won't do any good in the case of an internal fault though, it would only resolve an incorrect setting, picture adjustments, etc

Nathan :

If you hold a flashlight to the screen, are you able to make out an image there at all?

Customer: tried that. Had sound before volume down pressed. Now no sound just a dark lit screen
Customer: tried vol down and menu button still not work.
Nathan :

Are you getting your sound through the panasonic tv speakers only, or through any external sound system?

Customer: no image with flashlight
Customer: was through TV speakers. Not got external system
Nathan :

Thanks for the information.

Nathan :

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. You aren't getting power/control to the lcd panel or to the backlighting here. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

Nathan :

There is one additional reset step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv at the mains

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

Customer: will try now and advise in one hour.
Nathan :

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

Even though it is only a 2 year old model, if you're past the factory warranty period, for a tv of this size, replacement often makes more sense, as you'll spend about the same amount for a new tv, but would at least then get a fresh warranty.

Nathan :

In that event, depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.