info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

Set comes on. Black and white dots screen. Then the bit in

Set comes on. Black and white dots screen. Then the bit in the top left hand corner that says P1 - BBC Auto or whatever appears. Then it vanishes and 4.59 appears in the middle of the screen and starts to count down to zero. Set does not respond to either of two remotes. Have put new batteries in both. Despite that, the red light still flashes on one of them. Have tried to work the set manually (I know nothing about the TV, it's actually my old mum's) but whatever I do I just get the 4.59 countdown.
Thanks for any advice you can give!
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

I will need the model number please found on the back of the set?

How old is the set please?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Anthony

It's a Toshiba 23WLT56B. Other numbers on the back of the set are 17MB16P and SAM WI 402. As it's not my set, I don't know how old it is, maybe the model number gives you a clue, I think quite old. I really can't remember when she got it. . Sorry!

Ysabel

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
I am pretty sure this set is an ANALOGUE only set, that means it wont work with an aerial in the back you need a set-top-box these are about £20 from tescos, the aerial goes into the set-top-box and you use the remote that comes with the box, the box then connects to the input of the TV either scart or composite do you understand this please?

The black and white spots will make the set go into a forced shutdown after 5 mins because it senses no signal

Let me know if you need more info

A positive rating is appreciated thank you, ***** ***** be a rating bar with this post thanks again

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I'm confused. We did the digital switchover stuff a few years ago so how can the set be analogue? It's got its little black box that sits in front of it and used the remote that came with the box. Everything was just fine until recently.

BW

Ysabel

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Yes if it has a separate box with the set thats likely to be the digital box without that the set is analogue only so it worked when analogue was going, now you either have the TV on the wrong input or the box is not connected up right, lets try the input first as that easier so pick up the Tv remote and look for the sets INPUT button (I know your on the wrong input because you should not be seeing spots)so cycle this whilst the box is connected and you will find the INPUT the box is coming in on

Let me know if you get stuck

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's great, will do, but do not have 30 secs to spare right now, promise will get back to you/rate you at the weekend

Ysabel

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
OK let me know thank you

Anthony