Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Can't turn on my sony bravo KDL 40W2000 TV on main switch on

Can't turn on my sony bravo KDL 40W2000 TV on main switch on TV, I can't use my remote as my dog ate it, I have tried to get a replacement but they don't make them any more, I have tried turning it off and on again but the switch doesn't switch on please can you help many thanks gareth morgan
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. In order to determine what's causing this, I need to ask you for more information.
1) How long have you owned the set for and when did the issue occur with it not turning on?
2) Are there currently any signs of life on the TV at all (power light lit or blinking, etc.)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure how long I hVe owned it bought it new maybe 8/10 years, the switch has always been a bit awkward but it worked up till last night, we have to turn it off by the TV because the remote does not work ( can I buy a new one anywhere I have tried but no success )
There dosnt seen to be any lights on the TV thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. I can definitely source a remote for you and provide a link where you can purchase the remote for, but I want to make sure the TV is working. Please disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button for 10 Seconds and release. Then plug the TV back in and press power once. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done what you asked but there is still no life, the switch usually make a click noise but that is not happening thanks gareth
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay, this means that the issue goes beyond the remote (which I did find a source for) or the power switch and your TV actually has a hardware fault. If there's no power light and no click when power is pressed then you have a faulty power supply board within the TV that requires replacement. This is typically a $250 repair on this set, and given the age of the TV, would not be cost effective (since a brand new 40" LCD can be purchased for around $400).
If you're looking to attempt a DIY repair, then let me know and I will search for a link to the power supply board for your set.
I'm sorry for the bad news on this one.
NOTE: Please do not forget to provide a POSITIVE RATING so that I am credited. You can follow up to the question at any time at no additional cost.