Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Michael, i have a Panisonic DVD Recorder (DMR-EZ485V and

Hi Michael, i have a Panisonic DVD Recorder (DMR-EZ485V and a Sharp Aquos TV (LC-40LE830U) on an antenna system, and am not sure how to set up my equipment to be able to use the DVD's features to record shows through the TV. I have the manuals yet am having issues understanding how the two would work together. I disconnected them to relocate stuff months ago and haven't found the time to get them working together since. Are you able to help me sort through this situation?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems.
In order to record onto the Panasonic recorder, the antenna connection must to directly to the recorder- not to the TV.
So, the signal chain would appear like this:
Antenna---->RF In on Panasonic.
AV Outs on Panasonic------>AV Inputs on TV.
Set the TV to the AV Input, and then all signals will route through the Panasonic and then to the TV. Anything viewed using the antenna connection will then be able to be recorded.
If you need further assistance let me know.
NOTE: Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go.
You can follow up at no additional cost even once you've rated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me switch the antenna input to yhe DVR. Also, If I am using HDMI cable connections is there any difference?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please elaborate on this:
"If I am using HDMI cable connections is there any difference?"
If you are using HDMI connections from what, to what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using HDMI cables to connect the DVR with the TV. Do I need to make any changes to how these cables are inserted into the equipment?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay I understand. In this case then no you would simply need to move the coaxial cable where I stated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'm going to start working on the setup. I've used the DVR as a player before, not as a recorder for TV programs, so I may need more assistance with this situation. Will you still be available if I run into issues?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can reply back as needed even once you've rated my service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I've set the channels with the DVR controls and remote. I have attempted to set up the TV using the TV remote and am telling it to consider the DVR as a Set Top Box. To use the DVR to record programs, do I have to use the DVR's programming and remote?
I haven't been able to bring up a picture using the DVR remote. Also, I get more functionality from the TV remote. Problem-It seems that the DVR remote doesn't take a decimal input and many of my channels have a decimal, i.e. 54.1. My Sharp Aquos TV remote has this capability and will also work with TV, STB (set top box), DVD-VCR, or Audio equipment. The instructions are hard to understand or are missing some clarification on what some of the settings do.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You need to use the TV's remote to select the HDMI input that the DVD player is connected to, and then you need to use the DVD player's remote for all other operations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not clear on what you mean about using the TV's remote to select the HDMI input that the DVR is connected to (HD antenna signal through the input connection). Am I doing something wrong? Are you saying I can watch antenna TV signals using the TV remote (or how else do I select the channels with decimals?)? I haven't been able to get the TV set up/remote to recognize the antenna signals yet. Any ideas on how to approach this?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I think you're making this more complicated than it is.
You said the DVD was connected to the TV using HDMI. You use the TV remote's Input button to select HDMI so you can view the DVD.
I stated to connect the antenna to the RF in jack on the DVD.
So, with the TV set to HDMI (to view the DVD), you then use the DVD remote to change channels (HINT:The antenna is connected to the DVD so therefore all functions are processed from the DVD player remote).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right, however, the DVR remote doesn't have a decimal point to enter the complete channel ID Information and 5 of the stations in this area have two or three decimal separated sub-channels (public broadcast stations are on 25.1, 25.2, and 25.3. How do I select these channels on the DVD remote?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Offhand not sure. I am away from my PC right now, but you could Google the owner's manual of the DVD player for these steps.
Another alternative is to additionally run a coaxial cable from the RF out of the recorder to the TV, and then use the TV remote for everything besices recording.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?