Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

MY Toshiba TV Model 43VJ22P is showing shadows on all the images

MY Toshiba TV Model 43VJ22P is showing shadows on all the images on the screen. What can it be??
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. In order to determine what's causing this, I need to ask you for more information.
1) How long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur?
2) What is connected to the TV for sources (cable box, DVD player, etc.), and does this issue occur regardless of which source you're viewing from?
3) If you press MENU using the original TV remote, does the MENU also show the shadows?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, here are the answers to your questions. 1) I have owned the TV for about ten years. This problem has happened in the last month. 2) there is a sky box connected to the tv which I use to control both the tv and the sky box. 3) if I press the menu button on the original control it also shows in shadow form. Cheers Larry
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply Larry. When we see that the MENU is also affected by the problem, we know the issue is internal and hardware related- since the MENU supersedes ALL connections and settings (including the MENU settings themselves). The issue that causes shadows on these 3 CRT rear projection sets is the coolant leaking out of the CRT tubes which obscures the brightness and also eventually leads to runaway tubes (heating up excessively which leads to premature failure). The cost of having this service performed is in the $300 range for this set, and unfortunately is not what I would consider as cost-effective, since a brand new 42" LCD or LED TV can be purchased for a little more (around $400). I'm sorry for the bad news, and since parts are no longer available on the NEW market (only used and pulled parts are avail), this is not something I would consider repairing if it were me.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please keep in mind that we are all independent Techs on here, working on our own time, and are only credited a portion of the deposit one we are rated POSITIVELY.
NOTE: Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?