Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

hitachi t v will not switch on light flashes green and

Customer Question

hitachi t v
will not switch on
light flashes green and red
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info.
1) How long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur?
2) Has the TV ever shut off on it's own in the past, or been hard to start?
3) When you press power, does the screen light up even for a second?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

6 years

today

no

no

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common).
However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.
The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up. Try this procedure up to 4 times if subsequent tries do not work. Please reply back and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No this did not work
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay, There was no way anybody could ensure it would work- I was saying it's the only thing you can do on a user level to correct this. Beyond that there's a hardware fault in the TV causing the problem.
The only thing that will cause the set to cycle like this, and not completely turn on is a hardware fault, or more specifically- a short circuit. This is occurring in either the Backlight Inverters, or the Power Supply Board itself. There aren't any settings or ajdustments that will fix this, and the TV requires component testing and replacement. Average cost for this type of repair is in the $250-$300 range, which in about all cases, is not cost effective since the TV is 6 years old and can be replaced for the same cost.
I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please keep in mind that we are all independent Techs on here, working on our own time, and are only credited a portion of the deposit one we are rated POSITIVELY.