MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
11519491

My panasonic dvd recorder DMR-EZ28EB has just turned itself

Customer Question

My panasonic dvd recorder DMR-EZ28EB has just turned itself off and will not turn back on. Is it terminal??
Category: TV
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for choosing Just Answer.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem as we only know what you tell us;-) That will help me make a diagnosis quickly for you.
How old is your DVD recorder?
Also if you unplug the unit and wait 5 minutes, then plug it back in and try the unit once again, let me know if you get any signs of life? A light etc?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It appears to work but the dvd carriage is not working properly. How do I take the unit apart to put the carriage back in the correct position? My father removed a DVD when it ceased to function, probably by removing the case and I suspect that something was misplaced when put back together. How long does it need to be off to discharge any built up electricity?

Hi as for the power supply section of the unit it s electrolytic caps can retain power for a very long time. Its best simply to avoid the power supply area when working on the DVD carriage when working on this.
If you are technical you may be able to fix this if its simply a bad belt or just that the DVD draw is out of timing. But this requires experience to reset the gearing on the draw. If you feel like you can handle this safely I will help you further if you get stuck;-)
If you disassembled the unit its a good possibility that you missed something during re assembly.
Also How old is your DVD unit?
I will stick with you.
If you need me further you can reach me even after rating at no additional cost until this is fixed
please be sure to give my answer a top-three rating.
It won't cost you anything to further to rate and I will be with you at no additional cost but you can always get in touch with me if you need further help;-)
Tech Michael