hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Installer
Experience:  I am a certified Cable Television installer in the state of Hawaii
40928634

I have just purchased a Samsung BD-H8900M Freeview HD recorder.

I have just purchased a Samsung BD-H8900M Freeview HD recorder. How do I tune it to receive SD channels. I have used Auto tune but it only picks up HD channels and I lose SD channels such as Channel5.
Category: TV
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 2 years ago.

The TV will automatically tune in both SD & HD channels.

What is your post code please so I can which transmitter is serving your area.

Do you have any other TVs in the house that can receive Ch5. I am assuming that you have a common aerial on the roof feedking your TVs.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for responding. My postcode is CA13 0RU. If I plug the aerial directly into the television I can receive approx. 35 channels, all the main channels including Channel 5, none of which are HD. If I plug the aerial into the Samsung box first I can receive approx. 29 channels, 6 of them HD. I can get BBC1 and BBC2 in both SD and HD, the other main channels in HD only but no Channel 5 in either SD or HD. In both the previous tests the same aerial connection was used. Hope this helps.

Thank you for conducting some testing,

You should be pointing at the Caldbeck transmitter which is 27km away and NNE of you.

There is some work being done starting today (26th) and a retune is advised.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/CA13+0RU/NA/0/NA

Ch5 is not available in HD unfortunately.

Please try unplugging the aerial from the Samsung box and do a rescan.

Now plug the aerial back in and do another rescan.

Can you now receive more channels please?

You should also rescan your TV too since work has been done starting today.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried your suggestion to no avail unfortunately. I am more concerned about the loss of channels rather than whether they are HD or SD. Why would I have less channels with the box connected than I have when it is not connected?

Please go here and upgrade the firmware on the player. The latest was released on March 11th.

There is also a firmware upgrade guide to follow.

The upgrade is available on the bottom left of this webpage. You will put the update on a USB stick which you will plug into the TV's USB port.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players/BD-H8900M/XU

After upgrading the firmware please report back if this has fixed the problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I updated the software as advised. At first the remote would not work at all but after some trial and error, I managed to get the remote to work and re-tuned. Initially but briefly, everything seemed great,extra channels, including Channel 5, with good picture. Then the picture started to break on all the channels. I re-tuned and now I am back where I was before the software update. I think I will have to get an engineer to kook at it. Thank you for your help