MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
11519491

Television wont come on standby light just flashing on and

television wont come on standby light just flashing on and of
Category: TV
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for choosing Just Answer.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem. That will help me make a diagnosis quickly for you.
May I have the make, and model # ***** your set?
Also how old it is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

toshiba Lcd modal number 40bv700b about 4 yearsold

Thanks Dennis,
is there a pattern to the flashing light?
For example, a set of quick flashes and then a very brief pause before the pattern begins again? And if so, how many flashes before the pause?
You need to look at this carefully.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

one flash then a pause 6 seconds

Hi Dennis, please try this.
Unplug your TV form power, next wait 10 full minutes then press and hold the power button on the TV (not the remote) for 20 full seconds then release it.
Now plug your TV in while holding the power button in and let me know if the TV resets and you are able to turn it on at this point or not.
If this works great then please rate my service kindly, but if not please do not rate yet but simply reply to me for further information;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

still doing the same michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

michael tv just stopped flashing standby light on but still cant turn on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are you still with me michael

Hi Dennis I had to run out for a few minutes sorry about that.
So just to be sure, you get a six second pause then only one flash?
I need to be sure of that;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its stopped flashing just the standby light on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cant stop on line any longer michael things to do

Hi Dennis, thats fine, I will be here again tomorrow,
I'm not here all the time and usually not much on Sundays. When you get back on give me a shout and I will have the information you require to get this working;-)
Have a great evening and thanks for all the info!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

morning michael just to let you know i am back on line

Thanks Dennis,just to be absolutely sure, you are getting a single quick blink, then a 6 second delay then the same things begins again?
Thanks Dennis, want to make sure I give you the correct advice;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its stopped flashing standby light on still wont come on

Thanks Dennis, any clicks when you press the power button on the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes michael i can hear it click when i press the power button on the tv

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

michael we are now in the third day and still no joy i am not happy i am going out today so when i return i hope you have been in touch to let me know one way or the other what the problem is regards dennis

Thanks Dennis, we seem to have been on here at different times sorry for the delay. Usually I am here about 12 hours a day but since the surgery its been touch and go.
on this it sounds like your power supply is bad.
It may be simply a bad capacitor. If you have soldering experience you could replace the caps in the power supply, but if not it would be best to replace the entire power supply board.
Its easy to replace no soldering ;-)
I will help you make this swap. Unless you want to check the caps first.
If so, you are looking for the can shaped components if you see any with bulging lids or some that seem to have leaked a blue, brown liquid that likely dried on the can those caps would need to be replaced. They only cost a few dollars each;-) I will help you get them too if thats the route you choose to go.
But,
The best place to get that power supply is Sears parts Direct:(###) ###-####
I have other sources if you need them.
I will stick with you.
If you need me further you can reach me after rating at no additional cost until this problem is solved.
please be sure to give my answer a top-three rating.
It won't cost you anything to further to rate and I will be with you at no additional cost but you can always get in touch with me if you need further help;-)
Thank you Dennis I just had to be sure so I don't make you try parts that wont fix this.
Please rate kindly at this time and have a great day Dennis.
Tech Michael
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience: I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.