Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My TVONICS DTR-HV250 Digital TV Set Top Box switched itself

Customer Question

My TVONICS DTR-HV250 Digital TV Set Top Box switched itself off during the six o'clock news and there is no picture or sound on the TV screen since. Can you offer any help/advise/guidance.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Hi there, and sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points (bad hard drive, etc). This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc), through either the power or the antenna/cable line
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, as these boxes have a high failure rate after a few years of service.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the box, at the mains
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. That is something which would require repairs to correct, which simply is not feasible, as you'd spend more on labor alone than you would to buy a whole new unit. Should it come to that, I can recommend some replacement options for you, if you'd like.

Best regards,
Nathan