Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My tv has got a 2in green line through the middle what can

My tv has got a 2in green line through the middle what can this be
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info.
1) What is the model number off of the back of the TV?
2) How long have you owned it for and when did the issue occur?
3) What sources are connected (DVD, cable, sat, etc.), and do all sources show the 2" green line?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Serial no fk0240775. Model no tx p42s20b. About 5years. Virgin
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. ***** is one source- meaning the issue could be with the Virgin signal to the TV, or the TV itself. Please grab the Panasonic remote and press MENU. Does the TV's native MENU appear over the line or behind it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The line is in the middle of the tv
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I understand. Please press MENU on the Panasonic remote. Is the LINE OVER the MENU, or the MENU over the line? I need to know this to determine what's causing the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
No? The question wasn't a yes or no question. Please re-read what I asked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The line is not over the menu nor the menu over the line the line is in the middle of the tv and the menu is to the left
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying. Please leave the TV on and shut off the Virgin Box using the power button on the box. Is that line still there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay then the TV is the root cause and there are no settings or adjustments that will correct this. The line is an artifact of the Sustain boards failing which are what produce the image on the screen. When these Plasma sets get on in years the Sustain boards are the first to fail due to them generating the most heat. Once the line displays this tells us they are failing and need to be replaced. The average cost for this type of repair on your set is in the $300 range (parts and labor), and I would carefully consider whether putting that kind of money into this set, or putting the same money towards an LCD or LED TV of the same size would be more cost effective. I'm sorry for the bad news and I wish there were a quick fix.