MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
11519491

Machine says that hard disc needs reformatting but when I try

Machine says that hard disc needs reformatting but when I try to do this it says formatting failed so I cannot record or access recorded programmes
Category: TV
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for choosing Just Answer.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem. That will help me make a diagnosis quickly for you.
How old is your set top box?
Also how are you attempting to reformat the HDD in the box?
Please be detailed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Set top box is over 6 years old.

Screen says HDD needs reformatting. Do I want to reformat YES/NO

I pressed YES.

Then screen says reformatting failed.

Thank you for that John,
This an indication that the HDD in the freeview box has failed memory locations that used to contain important set up data.
If you own the box and it is less than 2 years old it should still be covered under the manufacturers warranty. If it is your own box, please contact TVonics that information is located with the warranty card or your user manual.
I don't see there contact info listed anywhere in our database.
But this happens with a lot of the boxes TVonics sold in the past 2 years so they may cover this free anyway, they are pretty good about that.
I will stick with you.
If you need me further you can reach me after rating at no additional cost .
please be sure to rate my answer kindly at this time before closing this page.
It won't cost you anything additional to rate and I will be with you at no additional cost and you can always get in touch with me if you need further help;-)
Thank you John and have a great day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your reply is unbelievable. I told you the set top box was more than 6 years old and therefore well out of warranty. Also TVonics is in receiver- ship which is why I sought Just Answer help.

So far your answer is quite unhelpful unless there is a way to correct the failed memory locations you mention.

Hi John, I'm sorry I didn't see that part about the age, sometimes info like that doesn't appear on screen to me for some reason. In this case your set top box definitely has a bad IC its a battery backed EPROM and the battery is located inside the IC and can not be replaced. Also the programmed information on the setup is corrupt due to that event. I wish I had better news for you really.But the cost of the repair would be expensive with labor and shipping included. You can get a box with more features now for less than the original cost and the repair would be almost half the cost of a new box anyway. If you have surface mount soldering tools and experience with that type of soldering you could replace the IC. But otherwise the tools needed for this are very expensive to purchase. and quite a bit of skill with that kind of soldering is also needed as well as programming tool and the program. TVonics doesn't sell that to the general public ;-( The only other thing you can do is send the box to them for repair but as I said its not cheap and even I would replace the box at this point in time. Sometimes its just that way and a new box would be the best way to go. If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know I'm here to be helpful in one way or the other. Please do not leave a poor rating as I have given you the correct and best information regarding this box. also it wont cost you anything more to rate kindly for my time with you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So basically throw it away and get another.

What does IC mean?

Hi John, an IC is an integrated circuit. A chip;-)
Basically you are correct as to what to do. Its becoming a real problem that many companies don't support their products for more than about 3 years these days. It sucks really. If I had s source for a pre programmed IC I would tell you for sure. But then you would need maybe a shop to replace the IC for you because this new parts design called surface mount technology allows for the parts to be so tiny and they can fit more into a small spot making products more powerful with more and more features. For less money and yes this has basically become a throw away society;-(
What a waste I agree with you. Sometimes the news I provide isn't what you want to hear but thats the facts and I am honest. Also I don't run this company I am just a technician who helps as many customers as best I can.
i have been a technician for over 35 years since I was 16 lol.
I wish you all the best and will help you if you need help locating a good replacement box. Just let me know on that;-)
John, Please rate my service to you kindly as its the only way I get any credit for my time working with you. There is no additional cost to rate my service today.