Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Sony Bravia LCD TV. When we turn it on the Power light

I have a Sony Bravia LCD TV. When we turn it on the Power light (green) flashes for a few seconds then the (Picture off/timer) (orange) button flashes and continues to do so. The TV has no picture and the remote control has no effect at all.
We have switched off and on again, left it off overnight, unplugged everything else ( DVD player, Talktalk box and internet cable) to no avail.
Can you help?
Thanks Shiona
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to assist, but I need to ask for more info. 1) What's the model number off of the back of the TV? 2) How long have you owned it for and when did the problem occur? 3) Please count the number of blinks of the light on the TV (they are usually in groups- for example: 6 blinks, pause, 6 blinks, etc.) and postback with that number.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The model number is *****

We bought it 2.5 years ago. The problems started yesterday. The TV was left in standby mode and when it was switched on the problem began.

The green and orange light are blinking simultaneously and continuously with no repeating pattern to the blinks.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. Those lights blinking are indicating an SOS within the TV- which in most cases indicates hardware failure. However it would be worth trying a hard rest of the TV following the steps below: 1) Disconnect the set from power. 2) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. 3) Wait 30 seconds, plug the TV back in and press power once. If this does not work the first time, try it up to three more times and let me know what happens please.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Do you still have the same problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We tried the above manoeuvre four times as requested. Each time the green light came on statically for about three seconds then the orange light came on and both lights started blinking as before.

Shiona

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear that. Those steps above are the only things on a user level you can try to correct this issue. Beyond that the light blinking indicates a hardware failure within the TV that requires service. The most common failure points on this set are the Mainboard and Power Board- meaning that one of them has failed. In order to narrow down which, a tech would need to perform voltage tests within the set, then the offending component would be replaced. The average cost for this type of repair is in the $250-$300 range and a shop can be located a the link below: www.tvrepairpros.com
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Alternatively, if you're a DIY type and have a multi-meter then we can likely troubleshoot and find the offending part, then I can dig to provide a link to where you can purchase it. Average cost for the boards in this set are between $100-$150. I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. NOTE: Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help. At least we now know what we are dealing with.

I

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome and sorry for the bad news on this one. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to rate my service once satisfied with my efforts.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company