Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Our Toshiba flat screen TV will not switch on. When we pressed

Our Toshiba flat screen TV will not switch on. When we pressed the on button on the remote we heard a repeated clicking, like it was trying to switch on. Now the red standby light has gone off and there is no clicking!
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number off of your Toshiba TV?
- How old it is and how long it have had the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

42WLT66 is the model number. I have had it for about 7 years.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Forgot to say....the problem just happened today! It worked fine yesterday, then would not switch on this morning!

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Joanna for the info.
It seems power supply board failure in TV and it needs further troubleshooting with multimeter to check standby 5V DC output on power board then Power-On command from main board that turns On the main power supply section to get 12V and 24V supplies to other sections of TV.
If no volts available or any of above mentioned supply line is missing then need to swap the power supply board in TV which will help to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So, it is something worth calling someone out to fix? Would the cost of repair be much less than buying a new television. Do you have a rough idea what such a repair would cost?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Joanna,
Sorry for delayed reply, I was away from computer.
Power board would be available around 60 to 70 Pounds and add local TV tech labor approx 60 Pounds so you can expect 120 to 130 Pounds repair cost.
I hope these info will help to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new TV as new models are available in less amount.