Pete
Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have just bought and set up my panasonic viera 40AX630E.

I have just bought and set up my panasonic viera 40AX630E. It mostly works (including HD channels) except the EPG will not pick up the HD channel programme info. Is there a way of resetting the TV to UK mode (either hardware/firmware or software)? Or is there something I can do in settings to encourage the EPG to pick up the HD info? The country selection would only allow me to select other (it did not have UK as an option since the 40AX630B is the british version).
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
To deal with the problem you must clear the channel list completely and then rescan.
To do this, disconnect the aerial and scan for channels - none should be detected, and this will clear the channel list.
Then reconnect the antenna and do the setup/installation scan again.
Ensure your aerial is receiving a very strong signal, and fit a signal booster if necessary.
Let me know how that works out...
Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, tried a factory reset and I have a booster in place. Picking up multiple TV stations for each channel so must have a fairly good signal reception. Unfortunately no joy Interestingly, the EPG will tell you on info what the programme times are and what genre they are, but not the name of the programme. There is an occasional programme coming up with a name, but i notice that it is a one word name only. The SD channels are perfectly fine. The only thing is resetting the whole thing is a huge effort as it never lines up the channels as we want them. Are european DVB-T2 transmissions different from UK? Is there a way to configure a european Panasonic TV to UK settings?

Cheers

Jonathan

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there are some differences in the transmissions.
It varies from country to country.
However, your TV should work in most european countries, including the UK.
For what it's worth, the UK uses DVB-T/MPEG-2 for SD, and DVB-T2/H.264/MPEG-4 for HD transmissions.
How long is it since the last retune? The EPG information is downloaded, usually at night, to the TV, so it is important to leave it in Standby mode overnight so that it gathers the correct information. If it is turned off at night it may be missing some or all of the EPG information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete,

So I retuned it about 2 hours ago. The rest of the EPG has repopulated as I outlined earlier. I will leave it in standby overnight. The only other thought was to put it into a country with similar transmission mode as the UK (Ireland is not an option on the TV). It may be a signal strength problem if DVB-T2 relies on a different UHF band or something such like. Otherwise I will just leave SD channels on numbers 1 through 30 and populate the HD channels afterwards. How does Panasonic nobble the TV from being UK friendly in its european versions?

Thanks for your help so far.

Jonathan

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by nobble.
Let me know if the situation is improved after the overnight update.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will let you know tomorrow if the EPG has improved. "Nobble" - to disable, how does panasonic disable the UK capability.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me know the results..
Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,
No change from yesterday and I left the TV in standby. The only other thought is moving the aerial....maybe it's a signal problem.
Cheers
Jonathan
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You could try fitting a signal booster to the antenna cable before it enters the TV, to help improve the signal if it is weak.
Also leave the TV on standby for a few more nights to see if there is any improvement.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jonathan,
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Do you need any further assistance?
Let me know,
Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete,

Well, I think I need someone with aerial experience to have a look at it. Your advice was welcome but didn't really help. The only question I have is whether the problem I have could be due to the TV being set up for Europe instead of the UK. Would this somehow inhibit the EPG from picking up the data on the HD channels? If so can the TV be reprogrammed into a british mode?

Cheers

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jonathan,
If you have tried fitting a booster and it did not help, then your aerial will need to be checked.
It is unlikely to be due to the TV being set up for Europe instead of the UK.
This could not inhibit the EPG from picking up the data.
To attempt a reprogram, use the method I mentioned previously:
disconnect the aerial and scan for channels - none should be detected, and this will clear the channel list.
Pete, Technician
Experience: Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.