Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My DMREZ45V VHS video/DVD combi is not working at all. It was

My DMREZ45V VHS video/DVD combi is not working at all. It was working one evening then the next morning, nothing. When I try to move to the video 'channel', there is nothing. I have changed the fuse on the plug, put new batteries in the remote and have tried manually switching 'On' on the combi but nothing happens. There is no display on the combi. Can this be repaired or do I put it on the scrapheap?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info. 1) How long have you owned the unit for? 2) Are there currently ANY signs of life on the unit at all (power light, display, click sounds, etc.)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The machine was purchased at 'shop @Panasonic', Pinner, U.K. on 5/5/07 and this is the first problem that I have had since the purchase. In a way, that is good luck however I still need the VHS play/record as I have various camcorder tapes and other VHS tapes to view.

There are no signs of life - it is dead as a dodo! As mentioned before, I tried to switch on both manually (on the machine) and via the remote control (I even changed the battery) but no reaction.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. This indicates the power supply has failed, as there's no voltages being rectified to DC- otherwise there would be a power light. In order to fix this you would need a Multi-Meter and a schematic to trace out the low voltage secondary transformer path to the rectifier and then to the filter caps and voltage regulator IC to see where the failure lies. Unfortunately, if you have this done at a shop, the cost to fix an 8 year old unit is the same as the cost of replacing it, and this is not money well spent in my opinion, as these are designed for a finite lifespan and will likely have additional failures not far down the road.
I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No need to reply to this.

Thanks for the info - it is what I expected unfortunately. Hopefully I shall be able to find some shop who can convert some of my tapes to CD. otherwise it is bye-bye to some memories - at least I have some of these memories in my head however.