Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

We have a TX-28DTX1 television. On trying the Red button

We have a TX-28DTX1 television.
On trying the Red button a message has started coming up saying the
"red button service is no longer supported on this device". Also that changes to the red button service are not compatible with some older systems.
This is clearly a television problem. What are Panasonic doing about it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
What specific function/service are you trying to access via the red button?
Are you doing this on the panasonic remote, or with a set top box remote?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In answer to your questions:

I am trying to get the standard text info that one gets via the Red button (instead of getting the usual menu etc., a big message comes up saying that the Red button facility has changed and some systems may not have it available as a result)

I am using the Panasonic television remote

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
When you say text info, do you mean the teletext /closed captioning / subtitles?How do you get your tv channels? Aerial, cable/satellite box, etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

teletext

By aerial

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for confirming. The issue here is that this is quite an old model television (2005) and the teletext features are no longer supported on it. It is not able to properly download/decode the text signals that are now encrypted in all of the digital tv channels. There is no update or way to fix that, it is simply a factor of aging technology. Your best option at this point will be to add an external set top box to pick up all of the new digital stations and decode the captions properly. The alternative would be to update to a new tv model, but a box is a fraction of the cost: http://amzn.to/1LogFmU