MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
11519491

Panasonic combo recorder - have been away weeks and

Customer Question

panasonic combo recorder - have been away for three weeks and when i went to record a tv programme on a video it wouldnt let me record
Category: TV
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, I see no one has tried to help you with this;-(I will see whats going on. I am Tech Michael.May I have the full model # ***** age of your recorder?Also were there any power outages or serges you may be aware of just prior to this problem and also what happens when you try to make a recording presently.Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

panasonic DMR-EZ49VCB combo bought in 2010 - something might have happened when i was away - we did have stormy weather in Swansea

Good morning,I figured that happened wit the storms in the area. I had a few other customers with similar electronic issues such as yours in your area in the same time period.Unfortunately what happened was a lightning strike had hit a transformer at a substation the power company uses.It sent a surge of higher than normal electricity though the lines, not enough to kill everything but some sensitive electronic devices became damaged due to this event.This is the most likely cause of the problem. but its something that would require the services of an experienced technician to fix. You can have this repaired if you like at most home electronics stores. These days, most of them make repairs as well as sales;-) Also you can use Sears Home service for this they are fair priced and many locations will allow you tor drop it off for this repair. They also offer in home service on may items. What I would do is call Sears and they can advise you of cost and the best way to go about this. Or if you have a local home electronics shop you can ask them as well.Please call Sears first as I know they are excellent with this type of thing, I used to work for them as a home service technician lol.For questions or to schedule: 1-***-***-****.I will stick with you until this is fixed properly.Please rate my service to you at this time before closing this page, it doesn't cost you anything to rate;-)Once you have rated kindly you can reply to me for anything else you may need on this and I will respond and help you all the way.Thank you and have a wonderful day!Tech Michael
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience: I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, a new things has happened, my tv went off on its own, i rebooted up and it came up as AV2/scart - the recorder is tuned into AV1 - how do i get the tv back to AV1? help!!!!!

Good morning,I'm sorry to hear that as well.That may have happened due to an update your TV will install when it gets one. That causes the system in the TV to restart.This could explain the switching to AV2/scart .Do you have the user manual for your TV?You can check that for the instructions to set it back it should also be listed in your TVs menu so you can switch it back.But keep in mind since you likely had a power surge the TV could be electronically damaged as well. Let me know if you have the manual?ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have the manual in front of me

Thanks for that, are you familiar with setting the TVs ports so you know which one you are looking at?that will be in your TV's menu.Let me know if you van find it. Another option if your not sure how to find the setting that way is to move the wire on the back that is in the port not used to the one labeled AV1.Let me know if that works because it will help us to be sure if there was any damage done to the TV or if that worked;-)Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

couldnt see an actual av1 port but the wire is in there, i tried the Function button to change to AV1 - it did change but there was no signal

Hi thank you for that information. This sounds like you may need a service technician to come look at this whole system to see what damage may have occurred.You can try narrowing the problem down by disconnecting everything from the TV and hooking up just your TVs cable or satellite signal wire and see if the TV will receive the signal.But keep in mind this may be just that everything reset and the TV may need to be reprogrammed with reset to the tuner. Channel search etc.If you are unsure of how to do all that you will need someone handy that can help you reset these parameters.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for that. the tv is a Bush so i think i will have to ring them - cant cope with this! am a full time carer and am also disabled so i do need someone to come. many thanks anyway

Hi your more than welcome;-) I completely understand time no one seems to have these days;-(I wish you the best with this I really do. Have a wonderful day.Tech Michael