Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I've just bought a samsung 48" curved screen smart tv and assumed

I've just bought a samsung 48" curved screen smart tv and assumed I would be able to watch all the on demand tv programmes I can get on my now quite old pc but in much better quality. Not so. I'm not very technically savvy so don't really understand what I need to do to get a flash drive for my tv because that is what seems to be missing. Can you help - please make any instructions simple.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Samsung, Sony, Sharp, LG, etc.- all have a set App Platform for their TV's. This means that you can't simply use the TV as a PC- the TV has Applications- but not every one is available. As far as BBC Iplayer, some Samsung models support it- while others don't. Please click the link and compare against your model number (which you didn't post above), and see if your is supported: http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/information/Samsung Let me know what you find. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
It's very possible, that if your TV said it's "Not Yet Available" that your model is too new, or simply not supported. In that case you would need a separate device connected to the TV (such as a Blu Ray player). In this case, a simple flash drive isn't the answer. You would need a device, such as the Blu Ray player at the link below- which does support Iplayer. Then simply connect the BR player to the TV using an HDMI cable to view it:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/audio-video/blu-ray-players/BD-H5900/XU
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model does not appear to exist on the link provided. Number on receipt I'd UE48JU6500KX. Is there a way I can put a flash drive onto my TV myself?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. Since your model is not listed- it's simply too new, and no you can't install an App using a Flashdrive- this can only be done via Firmware updates, ONCE Samsung decides to add this TV. What you can do however, is purchase an inexpensive Blu Ray player that DOES support the Iplayer App, and simply connect it to the TV using an HDMI cable and then be able to start watching Iplayer. A suitable device is available for purchase at the link below: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/audio-video/blu-ray-players/BD-J5900/XU If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.