MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
11519491

I live in a split level bungalow. My main TV is in the

I live in a split level bungalow. My main TV is in the lounge downstairs with a Humax Freeview PVR, a Sky HD box and a Panasonic DVD recorder. I also have a Sony LCD TV (model KDL-20S30) upstairs in the dining room with a Sony DVD recorder (Model RDR-HXD890)
both of which have analogue and digital tuners. All these units are fed via coax cable from the same aerial aligned with Crystal Palace, the TV being fed via the DVD recorder which is always on standby. This cable is very long, approx 20m, and runs right round
the outside of the bungalow. because of this cable length I have an Antiferance signal booster upstairs for the freeview signal which is also fed to the TVs in the kitchen and bedroom. Prior to digital TV taking over from analogue I was able to feed the Sony
TV with Sky signals via the standard aerial coax. When digital took over I lost this facility but then, when an engineer came to sort out a problem with digital he somehow arranged that I could still get Sky on the Sony TV in the dining room by selecting the
analogue tuner via the remote control. Unfortunately, having to retune the TV due to channel changes I lost this Sky facility and do not know how this was set up in the first place. I originally posted this question in September 2014 and received a replywhich
advised:- “You will need to retune the analogue signal - to do this, press the Analogue button on the remote control before retuning.” I did as instructed and regained the Sky programs on the Sony TV. However, since having to retune Freeview on the TV several
times since then, I have again lost the Sky signal. I obviously tried the above instruction again, many times, but without success. Unfortunately the TV gives me no manual tuning option. Can anybody advise me how to get the Sky signal back on the Sony TV?
I can provide connection diagrams of the current set-up if required.
Category: TV
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 1 year ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem. That will help me make a diagnosis quickly for you.Wow you have one heck of a system. yes please send me the wiring diagram I will see if I can make sense of how you have this all connected so I can help you. One other question, since the tech set things up and showed you haw to get Sky in another location withe the current configuration, have there been any wiring changes?Thank you for choosing Just Answer. Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The attached are the connections downstairs. The connections upstairs are signal amp. to DVD recorder to TV
Hi can you send this in another format? Something went wrong in the translation I have an error with this format for some reason.This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately the "ADD FILES" on the Just answer website is not working this time. I am trying to send the file as a Tiff. The one I sent previously was I JPG format. I don't understand why that did not work.
Hi lol, its always something huh?
Was anything changes with regards ***** ***** or components since the tech set things up in such a way that you could receive the Sky service?
Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only that I believe I possibly changed from a standard Sky box to an HD box, but I'm not sure if that happened before or after the problem
Thank you, ***** ***** had been done after the wiring the tech did it may very well explain this. I would do the same thing if not told about the special setup.In this case to be honest with you I don't think your problem is electronic component failure or signs not sent, but rather just they changed a wiring setup.From all you have told me that sounds like the only logical explanation.I have been a hands on technician for over 30 years with TV cable and sat systems so I'm pretty familiar with that whats happening lol.Unfortunately the best thing to do is have a tech check this for you and they can re wire that part for you, all they really need to do is port things a bit differently but for you to try and do this more than likely you will have a mess on your hands "connector soup!"Especially since I cant see the diagram;-(I wish i had better news for you I really do, but that is your best option, they may fix this for free or a small fee, most guys will not charge much for something like this as for an experienced tech, this is easy once he is in front of the setup;-)Please don't stress, not worth it, and have a great day, When you rate my service to you kindly you will still have full access to me at no additional cost and also there is no additional cost to you for rating.Thank you and have a wonderful day!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I cannot get the wiring diagram to you I will describe it as follows. The incoming aerial is passed through an amp to the DVD recorder then to a VCR (which is rarely used) then to the Sky box then to the upstairs amp then to the DVD recorder then to the TV.
Thanks, ***** ***** the IO's are correct with respect to In from antenna, OUT to DVD IN. Then DVD OUT to VCR IN VCR OUT to SKY IN.Let me know how that goes.Tech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked these connections several times and the IOs are s you describe Then SKY RF OUT 2 toe the upstairs amp. The IOs upstairs are also correct - otherwise the freeview signal would not work. The ADD FILES button is still not working
Hi did you have any storms or power outages in the area just prior to this problem?ThanksTech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that I can remember. Freeview works both downstairs and upstairs and Sky works perfectly, both channels, downstairs where the HD box is situated. So I do not think there has ben a storm problem
Hi, it sounds like everything is ok as far as electrical is concerned. But make sure your TV is tuned to receive the Skybox. This can be done through your TV's menu under the tuning section. All of these menus are different some even with the same model # ***** I can be sure which one you have unfortunately.Try the automatic channel finder while Sky is on and working in the other location.Also make sure you are set to be able to see that channel and that the VCR is passing the signal as well.Let me know if that helps, if not there has got to be a wiring issue.In all my years when this is the problem, the solution is one of the steps above to follow, if that doesn't work this could be a problem with the skybox output or just a mis wire.Tech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I tell if the upstairs TV is tuned o receive he sky box signal. I have tried retuning the both the digital and analogue tuners whilst Sky is playing on the downstairs TV but to no avail. What digital channel does Sky work on. I have no choice on the TV but automatic tuning.
Hi the auto tune should be all you need, in different regions the channel may be different. But if you have already tried the auto tune feature again and its not picking up the Skybox make sure you are connected to the skybox. If that doesn't help, then you will need someone there to look at this, I'm sure its going to be something simple.I wish I had better news for you I really do.Tech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mike. I seems that I will have to get a TV tech in to look at the system. Where I find one locally I haven't a clue, unless an aerial installer can help
Hi I feel for you its probably something so simple its stupid lol, but that happens to us all at sometime.
You can use pretty much any electrical handyman who knows a bit about cabling
Or maybe the tech you used previously?
I hope they can get this working soon for you I wish I could have been more help, but this is one of those times a tech needs to look at the settings and the wiring. Also in rare cases the wire itself will actually fail and need to be replaced but determining that would require some simple test equipment. Still at a cost.
If I can help you with anything else please let me know I'm here for you.
And before you go, please rate me kindly as its the only way I receive any compensation for my time with you.
It doesn't cost you anything further to rate;-) And I will still be here in case you have another idea no cost.
Thank you again and have an awesome day.
Tech Mike
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience: I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.