MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
11519491

Recording on a Tascam DR-05, the recorder starts a new file

Customer Question

Recording on a Tascam DR-05, the recorder starts a new file every 10 s .. how do I stop it doing that?
Category: TV
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello there,
Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.
Adam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please continue..
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Adam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK... btw the same thing happens on*****05s.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Adam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, carry on indefinitely .. the problem won't go away of its own accord. If I want you to stop I'll tell you.
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 1 year ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem. That will help me make a diagnosis quickly for you.May I have the Full model #?Also how old they both are?And where there any storms just prior to this event and did both begin this issue at the same time?Thank you for choosing Just Answer.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
May I have the Full model #? Tascam DR-05 : that's the full model designation but I also find System Version 2.00 0037 in the on line informationAlso how old they both are? less than 6 monthsAnd where there any storms just prior to this event and did both begin this issue at the same time? noTHE TWO RECORDERS HAVE ALWAYS BEHAVED LIKE THIS, FROM NEWProfessor Phil Green
SPandH
Dept of Computer Science
University of Sheffield
Thank you for that information.The Pre-recording buffer (2 seconds) allows a recording to start before the record key is pressedTimer allows a recording to start 5 or 10 seconds after pressing the RECORD button.Do you have the user manual?It explains how to make this work if this bit of info doesn't help. The user guide is found here: http://www.tascam.eu/en/dr-05.htmlPlease visit that site.I will stick with you until you have a good understanding of this. Please rate kindly at this time before closing this page, then you can reach me anytime for additional information on this. No additional cost to rate or for further information.Thank you and have a great day!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pre-recording buffer (2 seconds) allows a recording to start before the record key is pressedYes, I know. The problem is nothing to do with that.Timer allows a recording to start 5 or 10 seconds after pressing the RECORD button.I know that too.
Do you have the user manual?Yes, as I've already told you.It explains how to make this work if this bit of info doesn't help. The user guide is found here: http://www.tascam.eu/en/dr-05.No, it doesn't help. Please read my explanation of the problem again,
Hi I see all your replies, but am not sure what you mean?How long of a recording did you want to make?Is that the problem?ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My problem is that when I start recording the Tascam creates a new file, and records to it, every 10 seconds. This was my original query:Recording on a Tascam DR-05, the recorder starts a new file every 10 s .. how do I stop it doing that?I think it's because there's an auto rec mode that I can't switch off.
Hi thanks that is a strange problem and I have had one of those unit and never had that issue. ALso over the past few years as a tech, I have seen many issues with these but not this one. I did some checking and found that more than a few of these Tascam DR-05's have this problem. Its not something you are doing incorrectly as I originally thought. I will try to explain please bear with me.It is 2 defective units that don't have the capability to do that for you when they should. It is a problem related to the stored program data inside the IC that contains the instructions the unit uses to cause actions. Quite a few out there recently have been found to have this problem. It sounds to me like they forgot to program a step or somehow that information didn't get recorded to the IC.The company is aware that some have this problem.I would exchange the ones you have but explain to the sales associate about this and make sure the new ones don't have same issue. I am sorry for your inconvenience really.Please rate kindly at this time, no cost to do that and your question will not close. I will stick with you until you have 2 units that work correctly;-)Thank youTech Michael
I apologize that the info is coming to you twice its a site glitch this week lol.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like this is the solution:'I suspect that you have the AUTO REC mode in the Menu set to ON.
Please refer to pages 48/49 that explain this function and set the Mode to Off.'That answer came from Tascam UK, in a matter of hours.
Hi I looked at that but assumed you tried that already.Setting it to off should work, as it disables the auto function (timer) feature.Does that work? If so, awesome, I was thinking, its always possible that many were returned for this reason that the instructions weren't clear. That would be rare but possible. I hope that really works!Please let me know.Thank youTech Michael