info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

Our Hitachi Digital TV Recorder, Model HDR255, stopped working

Customer Question

Our Hitachi Digital TV Recorder, Model HDR255, stopped working on Saturday after several years of working well and recording many hours of TV programmes. The remote control would not turn the recorder on and so I put new batteries in but it still did not turn the recorder on. We have lots of recordings that we want to keep so we want to either repair our existing recorder or transfer the recordings to a new one. Should we take our recorder to a repairer? If so, where is the nearest one to us? We live in Teddington, Middlesex.
Best regards, ***** *****
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

Can you turn the machine on MANUALLY at the machine itself?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I tried pressing the button on the front of the recorder but it did not come on.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
How much did you pay for the recorder please and how old is it now please?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry to say that we do not remember how much we paid for it and how long ago we bought it. Our guess is that it is at least 5 years old.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Vincent the advice I am going to give you now you may not like I am sorry about that, I know you have material on the machine you would like to keep but if you want to do that then the cost to have this fixed could be twice the cost to replace it as new, so you have a 5 year old machine at the end of its life do you want to do that?it can be fixed but it wont be economical to do so, however if you despreately want to keep the material then thats what you would need to do.

Let me know which way you want to go with this

I know its not what you want to hear however I need you to rate positive so I receive credit from the site thank you

A positive rating is appreciated thank you there will be a rating bar with this post thanks again

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If we want to get our TV recorder fixed, where should we take it? Hopefully somewhere not too far from Teddington.

Regards,

Vincent

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Vincent do you understand what I just said?

What I said was it will cost twice as much to repair this unit than it would be to replace the unit as new?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear *****,

My last question is this - if we buy a new TV recorder, would it be possible to transfer the recordings from the old one to the new one?

Regards,

Vincent

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
No because you would need to get the old machine working BEFORE you can transfer to another machine, so what I am saying is the costs to repair your machine could equate to or exceed the costs to replace the unit as new.

So you can have it fixed but the costs??

Anthony